Editor crashes on save

So I am recompiling some of the older UMMs to be able to play on AA:PG v1. The old maps open fine, and edit normally. The map builds fine, although I am still having issues with pushing the build to other swam agents other then local. But once the build is complete, when I try to save the map, the editor crashes. It gives me the option to re-try, which will work, but results in a file that crashes the editor (and game server) if you try and open it again. If I use save as, the file created still crashes the editor upon opening again.

Needless to say if I can't save, I can not publish.

I've tried this across 3 different machines (windows 7, windows 8.1, and windows 10) same results for all.

Anyone got any ideas?

-Rabbit

Comments

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,155Beta Tester
    Are these your maps, or random ones from workshop? Little more info would be helpful.
  • These are not my maps, rather older AA3 and AA2 maps that were ported up to the beta. Things like AA2 SandStorm, and AA2 InsurgentCamp.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,155Beta Tester
    1) Those maps were already cooked with older versions of the editor, so you won't be able to do it. 2) I'd suggest , if you already haven't asking the original mapper for permission.

We just have a topic about taking other people maps and re-publishing them to steam.

So without permission should be a BIG NO NO! ;)
  • m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 641Moderator
    Your maps will be removed from the workshop if you are taking someone else's work and republishing it.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Map theft will lead to your steam account being banned from our workshop.

If it isn't yours, or you don't have the express permission of it's creator, don't publish it!
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• Whoa, lets back up the truck here.

First of all, this is not about theft of custom work. The maps in question are direct copies of maps released for AA3 and AA2. Maps like Impact, and Ranch, that were included in the actual game.

And effort here is not to take ownership, but rather to move these maps, maps that are beloved by players that have been around since the very beginning, forward to increase the overall game, and player enjoyment.

And, if you look, others are already doing this, Ranch, a map that was part of AA3 is now in the workshop. And if you look at it, it is a direct copy of the AA3 map - not a recreation like some of the Alley maps.

These maps, some of which have been abandoned by the posters for AAPG beta versions, have value to the AA franchise, and should be preserved, maintained and enjoyed. That is all!

-Rabbit.
  • m2-Barrettm2-Barrett Posts: 1Player
    i don't see any problem with trying to republish maps that were originally included in previous versions of the game. Yes they have been put up by others before but it's not like they are being stolen or even reworked. We want the original maps from these games and are simply trying to get them to work. If there's a better way to get them direct we would be more than willing to look into that option as well. We're simply looking for info, not uninformed and unfounded accusations.

- Barrett
  • m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 641Moderator
    You've been warned.

Someone else took the time to create those maps. Doesn't really matter what the source is for their inspiration.
  • (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 249Player
    edited October 2015
    These maps you think are abandoned may not in fact be abandoned at all , the new release is only here 2 weeks (people haven't had time to get all their maps in order) Especially this group of maps done by Altan , he has a lot of maps and probably can't get right to it immediately.
    And they are certainly not part of the original game (AAPG).
    These are maps that someone took a lot of time and work to recreate , by using a technique known as porting the map . It certainly does belong to someone else as you can see that it is published in their name clearly.
    I would suggest you get their permission cause you are walking on dangerous ground and I believe your account would and should be banned from the workshop, if you claim another persons map as your own.
    I will wait to see the outcome of this , but in the interim none of these maps will be running on the Beer_Me server unless the author states that he has given you permission to publish them.
  • Well, it is all kind of a moot point, as the editor crashes during the save, most likely due to the maps being cooked. So nothing is getting published.

-Rabbit