New UMM Contest - Theme Voting

[Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 329Developer
edited October 2015 in News & Announcements
Hey Everyone! With the new update to the Mission Editor, it is time for us to announce our next User Made Map Contest! Complete details on the rules and deadlines will be posted next week, but right now we want the community to help us decide the theme for the competition. We want the theme to be fairly flexible, guiding creators down a path without restricting their freedom too much. We expect map creators to fully abide by the theme chosen (as opposed to last time, where submissions were accepted that did not incorporate the rail theme), but we certainly encourage creative takes within the approved theme.

The community can vote for one of the four themes in the attached poll, all of which are outline a bit more below. Voting will end at 9am CST on Monday, October 26th. At that time, the theme with the most votes will be the theme for the contest. If you have any questions about the themes provided, please ask here. As mentioned above, specifics on contests rules and deadlines will be outlined after the theme has been chosen.

We had fantastic map submissions for our first map contest and we are looking forward to seeing what the community comes up with this time around!

Theme Overview

Great Outdoors
People have been asking for more terrain based maps, so let’s see what our mapping community can do with this theme! Maps should be on the large side for their intended game type (BDX or FLO) and should consist primarily of outdoor, terrain-based playspace. Some buildings and other interior playspaces are fine as long as they work within the theme.

Lair
The leaders of the Czervenian military are bound to have secret bases or lairs that have yet to be discovered. Contestants should create an exotic base/outpost/volcano lair/etc. for US forces to discover and infiltrate. This is probably the most open ended of the four themes and would likely result in some really fun ideas springing to life!

Mean Streets
Nothing is quite as exciting and hectic as a shootout along a Czervenian street! We have a number of assets (vehicles, sidewalks, shop fronts, signage, mailboxes, etc.) to support this theme and our mappers could take these assets in a number of interesting directions. If you are a fan of hectic, mid-range firefights and bounding from cover to cover then this is the theme for you!

Tunnel Trouble
If you enjoy getting upclose and personal with the enemy, then Tunnel Trouble is a great theme to vote for! Expect to see tight, winding corridors and plenty of close quarters combat. We have a number of tunnel, rock, quarry and construction assets to allow contestants to make a wide variety of scenarios within this theme. Maps do not have to be made up entirely of tunnels, but tunnels should play an important role in key areas of the map.

Voting ends at 9am on Monday, Oct. 26.

<iframe src="http://strawpoll.me/embed_1/5795569" style="width: 600px; height: 390px; border: 0;">Loading poll...</iframe>

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,181Player
    Looks like I'll be kissing goodbye to a few hundred hours of my life once more and guess what?.. I'll be absolutely glad of it! :mrgreen:

Awesome!
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,093Player
    edited October 2015
    Voted mean streets. Can the Devs also do a remake a classic AA map with a completely new theme along side this one?
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Along side, no. In the future, maybe.

We're going to make these regular events.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 351Player
    I like all themes. Voted for "outdoors" tho.. variety.
    Oh well.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    I would like to see some jungle warfare. Heavy bush sorta stuff. I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
    googley avatar aapg

• RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    Pls make 4 contests, one for every theme.... :D
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,117Beta Tester
    Wow this is too cool. Thanks for doing this Dev's. Most of us appreciate it. I know the contest hasn't started yet, but I'd like to be the first to wish everyone good luck with this. And please if you have any question about mapping, you know where to find.
  • Think you should have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. That way when -=}WoLvErInE{=- and [ENG]Uni-Sol take first and second, I can have a chance at 3rd :smile:
    There will be more than one winner. Probably going with top 3. If there are a ton of good ones it could even be top 5 or so.

• CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 500Player
    I voted for Lair because I like the mentioned open-ended nature of it. Variety is good!
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,093Player
    Actually, can I change my vote to lair as well?

I want someone to make this:
    DEvil.jpg
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,117Beta Tester
    Think you should have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. That way when -=}WoLvErInE{=- and [ENG]Uni-Sol take first and second, I can have a chance at 3rd :smile:

lol Thanks for the compliment. But I'm not as good as you think, Average at best. TBH all jokes aside..., I have my plate full at the moment. working on 3 different project, so most likely won't be entering this one. Maybe another one down the road. If I do get some time, I might clean up Rusneyve and submit that, but No time to start from scratch. I try and help people that need the help. thats where most of my time will be spent.

BTW....don't sell your self short, you're very talented mapper. You have a great chance, as does Uni. I think this going to be great contest, I feel it.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,181Player
    Me, as flattering as that is Delta, nah :blush:

I only just published the final version of basically the very same UMM that I used in the last mapping comp we had all that time ago, infact I'm just about to post some before/after on my map thread, maps do take me a long time off and on and of course.. I like to play the game too :lol:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    I voted for "Great Outdoors" because we don't have enough of them/or at all and it would be great to see. :)

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    I support the underdog choice "Lair", but feel like I'm throwing my vote away. Darn you, "First past the post" voting!

Frankly, given the option, I think I'd vote "anything not Great Outdoors".
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    Should have a contest to re-create an AA2 map, I'd go for some SF Courtyard right about now.

Or how about a poll to bring back some sort of explosive weapon (M203, AT4 ect...) :open_mouth:

• |FOX|Pitpav|FOX|Pitpav Posts: 41Player
    It will be good to see something like River Basin or Montain Ambush or mixed type like Border.
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 628Player
    wolvy
    "I try and help people that need the help. thats where most of my time will be spent."

haha new career , map polisher ;)

what are the rules , are we saying "new stuff" or are remakes of old aa2 classics allowed ?
    We want OC.
    We'll most likely do an AA2/3 remake comp in the future though.

• vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 266Player
    Voted for Lair....but honestly don't care about maps.

I just want the VIP MODE back ! ! ! !
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
    Streaming my horrible gameplay daily! Twitch.tv/fodvapor