How's your back?

=IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
edited October 2015 in R&R
So us gamers spend many hrs sitting which is one of the worst things for your back.. personally I'm a pretty fit guy, play sports and work out 4-5 times a week. But my lower back is taking a beating.. I wake up stiff as a board.. could be from sleeping but probably from sitting and playing..

So how's your back?
What are you guys doing about it?
What seat you running?

.. I'm guessing many are in the same boat

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,191Player
    You know it's bad when you look like a question mark when standing upright :lol:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Waiting for someone to say "It hurts from carrying my team".
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    LOL...you think?! ..

I'm looking into a ergonomic chair.. I like the ergohuman but dammmmnnn.. $600+

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,032Moderator
    Not to bad considering my age and long time working in car manufacturing.
    Former high level athlete floating along on old merits :D
    I have a KAB Director
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    Stiff from carrying......nevermind

Anyways, back is stiff some mornings but feels better during the day. I think it's safe to assume it'll stop getting better as I get older. Doesn't help I'm a big dude too, I am looking into buying a better chair. If gaming is going to continue being my hobby I'm not going to have a wrecked back because of it. Can't put a price tag on your back, I use some POS I found in the garbage at my old work. Please post links to some good options if you can (or if we're allowed too here)

• Bear_82Bear_82 Posts: 371Moderator
    I've got the Knoll Life chair. Mine is about 10 years old, but still going strong; have had no issues with it. Back support is great, which is how I ended up with it. My then-employer had custom ordered one for an employee recovering from back surgery. He hated it, so I latched onto it. After about six months, I decided I needed one for home, so started searching. As I recall, at the time it retailed through Knoll for about $700; I paid about 1/2 that through Amazon. Current retail is about $1000; $400 on Amazon this morning.
    The right of the people to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    Besides having an ergo chair, I also have a lumbar pillow for extended gaming I can use. Always get a cloth or suede covered chair because a leather one will make you sweat your A... off.
    googley avatar aapg

• ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    edited October 2015
    My back is excellent thanks. I'll squat press my team to victory and be good to go.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,129Beta Tester
    I have a weak back...... You know how long I've had it???!!

About a week back!!! :p ;)
  • GoodvibeGoodvibe Posts: 94Player
    I don't play with back support, I just sit on my bed with the laptop on a table in front of me.
    This forces you to sit up straight or you'll be hurting. Seems to do the trick for me, I do train my back twice a week though so that might have some bearing on it too.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    i have a good chair. had it for about 14 years now. went shopping for a new one about a year ago... couldn't find anything as good. they don't make them like they used to. sticking with my old one for now.

• iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    Add some Good Mornings to the workouts. Twice a week. It'll suck for a couple weeks but after that you should notice that you're lower back has a bit more stamina.

Also since i started doing abs twice a week i noticed i have been able to sit with better posture for longer, thus taking the strain off my lower back.

Planks are always good too. (for everything)
    2016 Flank Gaming Network Season 1 Champion
    2016 FraggedNation Season 4 Champion
    2015 FraggedNation Season 2 Main Champion
    2015 ESL Test Cup Second place
    2014 FraggedNation UMM Tournament Champion
    2014 FraggedNation Old School map Tournament Champion
    2014 TWL Season 1 Second Place
    2013 TWL 7v7 Beta Tournament Champion
    2013 TWL 5v5 Beta Tournament Second Place
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 630Player
    Get a waterbed,I wake up like freshborn since 15 years ;)
    AAPG is good!
    edited October 2015
    LOL.. funny I actualyl thought of the good old waterbed days

ya working on the Core EK is important, I have been doing all sorts of planks recently .. sometimes even while I play.. if I die early that is the punishment. planks lol

• Dem@nDem@n Posts: 564Player
    edited October 2015
    After looking around a lot for a new chair and looking at unreasonable prises found this not so bad one:
    Ikea Markus

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/20652/

curious how those racing type seats feel that they use in ESL streams maxnomic i believe they are called. For lots of $

http://www.needforseatusa.com/maxnomic_special_editions_gaming_chairs
    edited October 2015
    I watched a couple chair reviews on you tube, among those they had those racing seats as seen on Twitch, the comments werent all that bad as they do have a vertically adjustable lumbar pillow and neck/head.. but not as good as them ergo chairs..

That Markus chair seems to have a lumbar bar.. wonder if its in any way adjustable.. the reason why some of these seats are so much $$ is the adjustability options on everything..

best bet is to drive around a few chair stores and test them out... ive done enough web searching.. that only gets you so far

edited October 2015
    officechair.jpg

I have been using one of these for about 5 years, cost me 20 English.. its an absolute back killer believe me but I can't spend big with 5 others in my house using it, last time I had an expensive office chair with a bit more support, it lasted 3 months. Kids were abusing it like a bouncy castle and taking turns spinning on it like a merry go round until it couldn’t take anymore.

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    officechair.jpg

I have been using one of these for about 5 years, cost me 20 English.. its an absolute back killer believe me but I can't spend big with 5 others in my house using it, last time I had an expensive office chair with a bit more support, it lasted 3 months. Kids were abusing it like a bouncy castle and taking turns spinning on it like a merry go round until it couldn’t take anymore.

who wears the pants in your house? you or the kids?

that aside, my guess is if you want these chairs to last longer, don't use the hydraulic. find an executive chair that feels good without needing to raise the elevation. i've never used mine and it still works 14 years later.

I'm the pajama and slippers kind of dad.

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,032Moderator
    ... last time I had an expensive office chair with a bit more support, it lasted 3 months. Kids were abusing it like a bouncy castle and taking turns spinning on it like a merry go round until it couldn’t take anymore.
    Let the kids keep that chair, take a look at KAB, they are built like a tank.
    And, it they still manage to break it, theres spare parts for "everything".
    ss_4_frankof.png