WWISE Soundpack Guide

TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,162Player
    edited October 2015
    I shall try again on this later :lol:

Any chance you could get a minion to make a quick video of the process, something simple to start us off? I can much better follow instructions if I can 'see it'.. You did it for shoothouses iirc :mrgreen:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    I'll see what I can do

edited October 2015
    You guys know the editor does not have the UMM_GeneralAmbience or even SoundPacks packages as are shown in the tutorial?

This is what I see within that structure..

fmrzud.jpg

Even if I follow the kismet tutorial to the letter as best as I can understand, but rather loading sound banks from the Ambient_Packages I still can't seem to get working with the sounds, I also can't find anything called SB_UMM_ReverbMedia to follow the reverb part of the tut.

I am what you might call, a little fish.. That has gotten himself completely lost in a big lake :lol:

edited October 2015
    Holy crap I got it somewhat working I think :)

I simply needed to load any of the soundbanks from the maps [in the packages above], add them to loadbank actions in kismet then set any ambient events from them banks I added to the level, as targets in the start ambient sound kismet action and boom, sounds are coming through.

2mmh5b6.jpg

Now.. to figure out reverbs :lol:

• (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 610Player
    did you have sounds play in the eddy ??? ive set my kismet, set the load bank and added the bank i used in the browser , haven't added targets as the "tut" didn't say you needed too
    edited October 2015
    Yep, Sounds work in the editor if you mean the sounds of gunfire, running etc and have done since the release.. but to add the ambient sounds and reverbs Wwise style you have to load the banks and then have them start (as shown in my kismet) otherwise whatever events you put in won't be audible in the map.

I'm confused about the tutorial tbh, as lots of whats stated in there we don't actually have to work with in the editor so I been winging it so far.

I'm currently setting up reverb volumes using the last bit of the guide and its working, I'm just trying to figure out how to stop external ambiance [sounds outside the volume] from being heard as loaud as outside, inside it.. That and trying to figure out how to trigger event sounds, to be precise.. pressing a button in my level [using a trigger] and it producing a sound. Its probably easy, but the sound I need is requiring loading a separate bank from a different package and having it off from the start until a button is pressed in the map, which I'm trying to get to load the bank and play the event.. No joy :lol:

well i know we can still use wav files if you import , luckily some of my kismet stuff was with imported sounds so they still work,
    as to gunfire etc ,i saw they still work ,
    i believe with the reverb volumes you have to set priority , ie outside less than inside
  • Yea make sure you have the right priority set for the inside reverb volume.

Triggering sounds I am using the AkPostEvent. New Action - AkAudio - AkPostEvent

M3EjtNV.png

In this example I have the target being the trigger, which would work on a button like you are asking about, actually this is for a button on my map that controls a ramp, Im using the elevator call button.

You can actually also just add the target into the properties, I like doing it this way to help keep the kismet visually smaller.

MLRJvk0.png

Im thinking you could probably even make the target be the instigator.
    PLevlex.jpg
    edited October 2015
    Nice one :wink: I eventually got it working like this..

153qs1v.jpg

The trigger [button] also toggles a light on/off. I had tried to add an ambient sound also but for some reason the sound does not stop after activating the trigger, it just keeps playing and can be heard from the other side of the map when I need it to be something that’s close to the player only :lol:

I have been really struggling with this new approach to sounds has to be said, I probably spent about 6 hours yesterday just trying to figure out how to even use them, then spent another 6 after I learned how to, trying to get a simple trigger set up.

I also have another Q.. Do you know how to lower the volume and radius of a sound effect? for example if I put a steam [hissing] sound effect in my map, I can hear it from too far away and through walls.. I've noticed there's not much you can do within the properties of the sound itself, certainly nothing like you could for soundwave/cues.. So i'm not sure what to do to lower it :(

• So you are wanting to toggle an ambient sound? Turn the light on, ambient buzz sound fills the room, turn the light off, ambient buzz sound turns off?

It looks in your kismet there that you have no way of "toggling" the sound, only loading the akbank on the trigger push. Nothing is turning it off or "unloading" the akbank expect at Level Loaded.

Still not sure exactly what you intend to do, but Im thinking you should have the AkLoadBank "load" on "Level Loaded" and break the link from finished to start target. Then, add a switch to the trigger, connecting to AkStartAmbientSound, Switch 1 to Start Targets, Switch 2 to Stop targets. That should work as a toggle for the actual sound.
    PLevlex.jpg
  • CPT-A.Cantu[3rdID]CPT-A.Cantu[3rdID] Posts: 93Player
    edited October 2015
    HNU87eH.png

I have no idea about the sound and radius. I'm curious about that as well.
    PLevlex.jpg
    edited October 2015
    Wheres that like button when you really need it? cheers man, this has sorted it the ol' switcharoo! :smiley:

If you could see me right now, I have my right palm attached to my [red] face :lol:

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,927Player
    Going to need a tutorial for this. Just want to make a custom objective sound from a wave file and I'm confused.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    edited October 2015
    If your wanting to use a wave file you can still use it the normal UDK way, import it into your map and use it however you need in your level. You can have and use both methods of sound production, Wwise and Unreal simultaneously in a map.

I do agree that a more detailed (and one that pertains to the assets we have at our disposal) tutorial would be beneficial, quite honestly if I was entirely new to mapping again, that tutorial would completely put me off making maps, its like reading jargon and not 'new user' friendly like whatsoever.

If your wanting to use a wave file you can still use it the normal UDK way, import it into your map and use it however you need in your level. You can have and use both methods of sound production, Wwise and Unreal simultaneously in a map.

I do agree that a more detailed (and one that pertains to the assets we have at our disposal) tutorial would be beneficial, quite honestly if I was entirely new to mapping again, that tutorial would completely put me off making maps, its like reading jargon and not 'new user' friendly like whatsoever.

Doesn't work for the objectives. The objectives require the AKDetails.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    If you guys can make a master list of questions I can take it back to the sound team and expand upon the guide.

• Instead of trying to place your sound in the properties of the objective, have you tried using kismet to play the sound tied to the objective?
    PLevlex.jpg
    edited October 2015
    Whiplash27 wrote: »

Doesn't work for the objectives. The objectives require the AKDetails.

Bummer, I wonder if we can convert our imported 'standard' sounds into something usable by Wwise by making these 'Soundbanks' and 'AKEvents' ourselves somehow.. I'm guessing not and that we would probably need the actual Wwise software itself (rather than UDK) for something like that?

That was also a question for that list Tots :)

Another question would be.. can we get a video tutorial of the process? for example, a breakdown of whats written in text form actually realized in the editor environment, I think that would be much more benficial to people than an essay of jargon terms we don't even know what means :lol:

Forgive me but the guide kinda assumes were all graduates from the Royal College of Wwise.

I was able to get the ambient sounds working fairly easily. Unfortunately, as I said, the ability to import your own sounds and make AKEvents seems to be impossible or at least not to the level that I am able to figure out.