Make objects solid, in basic editor

-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 376Beta Tester
edited October 2015 in Mission Editor - Support
So I wanted to use a few of the items in the default map lay out when starting a new map, I drag an object lets say a fence or cement pillar or water tank when I drag it into the usable space and I go to test the game play I can walk rite through the things I used from outside the playing field..
Is there anyway to make them solid?
Thanks
One day I will graduate noob school!!!
-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited October 2015
    They should all have collision by default, I'm not sure why they don't, I've never heard of this problem :(

Is it the same for every mesh you place?
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 376Beta Tester
    edited October 2015
    No that is just it, only on the ones I don't see in the basic editor assets.. But if there is like a jeep that is already in the assets then I don't run through it, but there was a crane, a big one, I brought it to the playing area from out in the boondocks lol and when I get it seated I go to play game and I just run through like I'm a ghost... Same for some of the fencing that is around maps layout but they are not in the list in the editor so if I drag and drop it in the play area I walk through it..

I been playing AA since 2.0 but never tried to build a map.. Now that I am getting a little more free time to learn something new I decided to learn this.. But the help resources are limited for the basic editor but the full editor is to much to learn on for now.. So forgive my newbness lol!!

(Just editing this post) I just noticed that those objects I move from out of the play area to in the play area also go invisible if the place I am taking it from is higher ground then where I put it, so as I lower it to the play area its gone.

Here is another question not related to the above. Is there a way to highlight a large group of objects that are joined together? Like a wall that has about 25 parts to it I want to duplicate it, I want to move it then move other things then move it again and it is such a pain to highlight each part I let go of the ctrl lol and start again I am sure there is a way I just don't see it>>

Thanks!!

-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• GoodvibeGoodvibe Posts: 94Player
    What you are referring to are static meshes without collision models. The items like the crane are set in a non-playable area in that map (harbour assault, I figured), so the person that build that (with 3d modelling software) didn't bother making a collision model for it. It is possible to create one for it (I believe), I wouldn't be able to tell you how though and since you find the step from basic to full too large, this certainly will also be.
    What you could do however is build a heightened area of terrain or bsp block (too high for a player) to put the static mesh on and in that way make it impossible to walk through and still have the looks.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited October 2015
    Ahh, I think I might now understand better.. You're using a premade map template in the mission editor then trying to move the meshes the devs have already placed in that template (that are outside of the playspace) into the playspace.. Would that be it?

If so.. I have a feeling they have set them meshes to act like that in their individual properties, without going to much in depth, a mesh can have certain things turned off in its properties so that it/they may perform better in a map, helping you attain more FPS, it's a way of optimizing a map so that it uses less resources on a person's PC.. I have a feeling they may have done this in this case on things that have been placed outside of the playable area, on things like items in the background.. scenery, meshes, trees etc.. It also explains why they disappear at a certain distance, that’s known as cull distance (or draw distance), after a certain/set distance from your camera (or pawn) a mesh can be stopped from being rendered to save from getting drawn ingame by your graphics card, which also helps with performance.

Unfortunately within the confines of the basic mission editor there's not a lot you can do to remedy it.

Your absolute best option would be to take the plunge into the world of the advanced editor for just a few minutes, the way to do it is to open up your map in the advanced (full) editor, then open the content browser and load any packages you might want to grab any assets from, you don't have to mess with any properties or worry about anything other than dragging and dropping assets from the browser into your map space, then you can simply save it (choosing save all) and re-open your map in the mission editor, you will then be able to work with what you brought over from the advanced one in the relative safety of the normal one.

For the highlighting of more than one object, you should be able to right click on a mesh and choose select matching, but I'm assuming that’s not working as intended as its selecting every mesh in a map rather than a matching mesh, it actually might be a bug?
    The only other way I know of (in the normal editor) is the way you are already doing it by ctrl clicking individual assets.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 376Beta Tester
    Hey thanks guys, I'm getting it now.. I'm just learning a lot of basic computer skills as I advance into the world of IT as classes start next spring for me.. Any way I am learning a great deal just about the meshes and objects.. And now it makes a lot of sense... I think it is a great idea to go into the full editor and grab what I want and then reopen in basic.. I am more comfortable there for now, I do intend to learn the full editor after my first attempt at a map idea I have..

I realize my questions are really newbie basic ones but honestly the basic editor help docs are not all that helpful in explaining in detail, they basically show you how to drag and drop lol but it is a start..

Ill go now and try to grab some assets that way,

And yes as far as the highlighting all assets connected together issue I have, well Ill be very careful lol it is tedious work!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• GoodvibeGoodvibe Posts: 94Player
    http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/, is a great asset to get used to the basics of the full editor.