Note To Mappers.......cooking Your Map!!!!!!

Note:

Anyone that cooks their map will need to update it with every major patch release, otherwise it won't work.

If you haven't cooked your map, you have noting to worry about. it will continue to work with new patches.

This is the one bad side of Unreal Engine.

Comments

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,152Beta Tester
    Word of advice!!!! Never cook your map unless you exceed the workshop upload file size. Once you cook your map you'll need to recook with every major patch. Anytime they have to mess with frontend and have to recompile the game you'll need to recook it. However, if you don't , you won't need to do anything to it. Of course unless the remove assets from the beta that are know longer available to use.
  • vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 271Player
    edited April 2015
    Good to know After Ive cooked it lmao
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 581Beta Tester
    How much space can I win with cooking?
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    All depends who much assets you're using. How much custom stuff you have...ect.

To give you a better idea. CSAR is around 500mb not cooked. It compresses to around 140mb.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player

All depends who much assets you're using. How much custom stuff you have...ect.

To give you a better idea. CSAR is around 500mb not cooked. It compresses to around 140mb.

And cooking makes a big difference on performance for lower end graphics cards unless you're baking chocolate chip cookies.
    googley avatar aapg

• =R*C=-snom-=R*C=-snom- Posts: 88Player
    Question; Will this be fixed for release or will this be an ongoing issue after each update for map makers?
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    That's just UE3 and cooked content. Nothing we can do to fix it unfortunately.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 581Beta Tester
    edited April 2015

Question; Will this be fixed for release or will this be an ongoing issue after each update for map makers?

I have a feeling, that this cannot be fixed. I'm not an expert though...
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.

The amount of code needed to fix this is like rewriting the whole engine to do so. I know of a company that did successfully manage to do it, but man it took forever to do it. 
    edited April 2015
    Roger, thanks for the info.
  • DeltaKiloDeltaKilo Posts: 146Developer
    After release publishing will no longer cook your map, but only perform part of the cooking process (mainly compressing) so that you can publish maps compressed, but not cooked.  It will allow for smaller files that don't have to be updated each time we update the game.
    DeltaKilo said:

After release publishing will no longer cook your map, but only perform part of the cooking process (mainly compressing) so that you can publish maps compressed, but not cooked.  It will allow for smaller files that don't have to be updated each time we update the game.

WoW! Great News. Thank you for the info. This will make many people happy. ^:)^
  • -=[VGO]=-mmchaos-=[VGO]=-mmchaos Posts: 83Moderator
    DeltaKilo said:

i agree with wolverine great news.
    test-tag.jpg
    edited April 2015
    DeltaKilo said:

Sweet 8->, That's awesome. Thanks for the reply DeltaKilo.