New Opt-In build for September 3

Comments

• -hyperlite--hyperlite- Posts: 102Player
    *Ping for other players is no longer visible on the scoreboard; your personal ping is not yet displayed but will be

I'm curious to know the reasoning behind this change. I have some speculation as to why, but I'm interested in some sort of an official answer.

I can't think of any modern FPS that did not have some form of ping value for everyone.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Fifa fair play on officials.. no kicks for high ping.. you have to suffer with poor gameplay that's all

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 563Beta Tester
    edited September 2015
    *Ping for other players is no longer visible on the scoreboard; your personal ping is not yet displayed but will be

I'm curious to know the reasoning behind this change. I have some speculation as to why, but I'm interested in some sort of an official answer.

I can't think of any modern FPS that did not have some form of ping value for everyone.

Console games (e.g. CoD) had the 'bar' system since ages. The connection 'value' is displayed similarly to cell phones: 4 bars is the best, 1 bar is worst. I'm happy (=I'm less upset) that admins can see the pings, however I'm still not happy with the system. I don't mind what they do on official servers, but to force pings to be invisible everywhere is a HUGE sign of lack of trust in the players/community in my book. I really think that the AAPG community is much more mature than CoD so we don't deserve the same treatment.
    Other than this, I welcome all changes and I really like to see how this game is coming together.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,190Player
    edited September 2015
    It's obvious why its been changed.. To combat 'Ping discrimination'. Private server admins/clans will usually ask nicely for the person to either fix their ping or leave the server.. but on some servers this is not the case, officials included..

Scenario.. High ping player enters server, people either say leave or start a VK, if they can't then they will start to blame absolutely everything that happens in the game on that one person. From getting killed, match loss, a slight lagspike, the feeling that your bullets are not registering.. getting killed behind cover, even warping..

All misconceptions and blame falls onto that one guys shoulders, not to mention sometimes a lot of grief, is that fair?
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    edited September 2015

League of Legends has it. No FPS but still interesting.
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,572Player
    I once tested how it was to play with a high ping on a Brazilian server (I'm in Northern Europe). Over 300 ping in a whole match was like move in syrup. To my surprise nobody complained, nice people, need more of them.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • KodenKoden Posts: 284Player
    That list on the first post contains so many good little (and not so little) things. I like this update. I especially like the LAN feature.
    Derob6.jpg
    edited September 2015
    -Ner0- wrote: »
    I once tested how it was to play with a high ping on a Brazilian server (I'm in Northern Europe). Over 300 ping in a whole match was like move in syrup. To my surprise nobody complained, nice people, need more of them.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. I believe (call me whatever you want for this) that most people are actually mature enough in AAPG. But they have to get this ping-thing, because a very loud minority consists of a bunch of immature players. I really don't like this mentality.
    Do you think ping hiding will do the trick? Just look at CoD (a game with many immature players): so many people blame lag even with ping hiding, (even when they only have 3-4 bar guys playing). You can't shut their mouth with hiding pings. I feel like after hiding ping they'll blame everything on the lag. These people always find something a cry about: the netcode, the hitreg, the hitboxes, a lag-switch, the list is endless. At least this is my opinion and I'm aware, that I might be totally wrong.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    I'll take complaining about "lag" in general to harassment against anyone with over 150 ping on the Official servers.

This decision was reached after watching the open beta over the last ~2 years.
    It's purely based off of player behavior. If we didn't see this as a daily issue on the Official servers then we wouldn't be bothering with it.

If you want to run your own server with ping limits that is still 100% possible.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

I'll take complaining about "lag" in general to harassment against anyone with over 150 ping on the Official servers.

This decision was reached after watching the open beta over the last ~2 years.
    It's purely based off of player behavior. If we didn't see this as a daily issue on the Official servers then we wouldn't be bothering with it.

If you want to run your own server with ping limits that is still 100% possible.

Did I misunderstand something? I read, that ping-hiding is active on all servers and this cannot be changed. To be honest: I don't care if this decision affect only officials (or can be turned on/off on private servers) and I apologize for my complaints. But the changelog says: "*Ping for other players is no longer visible on the scoreboard; your personal ping is not yet displayed but will be" and it does not mention "officials only".
    I respect your decision but I'm definitely going to post my worries about the new system.
    On all OFFICIAL servers

=IK=Doba= wrote: »
    On all OFFICIAL servers

Any Dev could confirm this? If this is the case, I'll calm down, I promise. :smirk:
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    *Admins have access to a new command, AdminPlayerList, which lists all players by team with ping

Here is a work in progress shot of how the scoreboard will look now that ping isn't listed.

uRhAw9u.jpg

*This is not final work*
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• TrIn@dOr^SuRTrIn@dOr^SuR Posts: 215Player
    [Is sad to realize officially that High Ping was never the real reason of your defeat] by TrIn
  • TrIn@dOr^SuRTrIn@dOr^SuR Posts: 215Player
    xmUz1ck.jpg

Say waaaaaa?
  • =IK=SgtBadazz=IK=SgtBadazz Posts: 160Player
    Hiding pings is just not a well thought out solution for an fps. I don't see why there are not official servers on more continents besides the US and Europe. Rather, they would like to create a game experience that is not ideal for anyone.
    It doesnt matter, even if you could still see the ping.. you couldnt kick them anyway

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,448Player
    Is there a time for the update today :)
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • =IK=Juggernaut=IK=Juggernaut Posts: 69Player
    Even without seeing the numbers, we will still notice the players who are bouncing around the map... with the laggy, warping, "fast" running effect (I hope I'm making sense here lol.) We don't discriminate because of a number, but rather because it just destroys the fun of the game to play against someone who is micro warping when you're trying to shoot them. I'll agree that there are times when the "low pingers" will blame all of their shortcomings on the "high pingers," but there's still plenty of solid reasoning behind "high pingers" making the game frustrating. BTW, If I'm ever playing on an EU server, or other server that I ping highly on, I know that there's a risk that I could get kicked for lagging... but I don't get mad... I totally understand, and I think we're all mature enough to understand this concept.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,130Player
    High pings aren't as bad of an issue as they were like a year or so ago. I've played in servers filled with 200 ping guys and it's not too bad.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!