Bitdefender RAM usage

{M.9}-Arko{M.9}-Arko Posts: 207Player
Hey. I'm just testing some antivirus softwares. I had mcaffee, and since today bitdefender internet security. But i'm wondering about the high ram usage of approx 230mb. Is this normal? What du you guys use and prefer in regards to AA? Do you shut down the antivirus while playing? Thanks a lot for some suggestions.

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    I saw a really good anti-virus comparo a few weeks ago that talked about resource usage as well as effectiveness. Too bad I didn't bookmark it, but search for comparisons and reviews, because I remember they quoted the RAM use for all the main brands.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,574Player
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited August 2015
    3rd party virus protection= big no no no when it comes to gaming. Alls you need is keep windows defender up to date run scans weekly. Use CCleaner to frequently clean your internet files/temp files and clean your registry or even set your browser to automatically clear everything upon close. Then use anti malwarebytes and run scans frequently with that. Non of these programs take up the huge resources and cause so much problems like so many 3rd party virus protection programs can.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

Trend Micro causes no issues for me.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    I'm running BitDefender (paid version) and it usually only uses about 1 to 2 MB of ram.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 652Moderator
    3rd party virus protection= big no no no when it comes to gaming. Alls you need is keep windows defender up to date run scans weekly. Use CCleaner to frequently clean your internet files/temp files and clean your registry or even set your browser to automatically clear everything upon close. Then use anti malwarebytes and run scans frequently with that. Non of these programs take up the huge resources and cause so much problems like so many 3rd party virus protection programs can.

I had six hits when I switched from Defender to Macafee. Defender has one of the worst detection rates.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Defender came out strong, put up numbers nearly as good as people like ESET and Kaspersky, then it tanked.

I used to tell people all the time to just use MSE, but as bad as it is now, it's just irresponsible.

AVG, Avira, Avast, BitDefender, there are lots of free options out there, and lots of good paid options as well (ESET, Kaspersky, Bit, etc).

Pick what works for you, just know that MSE/Defender isn't what it used to be.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• {M.9}-Arko{M.9}-Arko Posts: 207Player
    edited September 2015
    @PlainYogurt: Is there something specially important in the settings i need to do? 2MB against 230MB RAM, is a huge difference. Is it maybe because i'm running the test version of internet security 2015, maybe the paid version is the way to success.
  • n1]LeXy^n1]LeXy^ Posts: 16Player
    bitdefender had a couple of known problems concerning to the ram usage back in 2013 and 2014. i could never solve these for all our clients in our corporate network (especially for win 8.1 clients) and we moved to a different vendor. privat i use the free version of avg without any problems. using windows defender only is in my opinion no option - the detection rate is to weak.
    Thank you all for your inputs, I just found something in the bitdefener forums where many people have the sam issue, ram usage even climbing up to 2-3GB after a couple of hours. I will give it a chance, but will test kaspersky in the next days.

@IcdlLexy: what ram usage do you have with AVG?
  • n1]LeXy^n1]LeXy^ Posts: 16Player
    {{{_CRO-DoGg_}}}, i would not spend too moch time - even after 2 weeks we couldn't solve it for every system... a normal ram usage for a antivirus with realtime-scan is below 100mb.
    give this is try: http://www.bitdefender.de/uninstall
    ps. if you are using win 8.1: kaspersky had also a problem with a memory leak and a verry high cpu usage a while ago - no idea if it is fully solved.
    Tried Panda now. 5Mb ram usage, 50mb while scanning....looks fine.
    Finally i've installed Avast. 15MB RAM usage, and i feel like it's enough for private use.
    Finally i've installed Avast. 15MB RAM usage, and i feel like it's enough for private use.

One of the best free anti-virus.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    I've been using Avast for years. Never gave me any trouble and runs quietly in the background

(tip - turn on gaming/silent mode so the annoying voice does not keep popping up on virus database updates :) )
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

Thanks Uni. The first thing what I was looking for after installation, was this kind of buttom/setting. Game mode or similar...
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    m_hermann wrote: »

I had six hits when I switched from Defender to Macafee. Defender has one of the worst detection rates.

Yah well it's more for advanced PC users I guess because I don't get virus's at all usually and other issues like malware pop up once in a while but never very serious. Most cases a severe virus comes from allowing something to install that you shouldn't have.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• {4F}BlackEagle{4F}BlackEagle Posts: 4Beta Tester
    I use BitDefender (free version). I let it run while gaming and have never had a problem. You install it and it takes care of itself. I updated from 8.1 to 10 and it updated fine as well. I love it and have it on every pc in the house.
    AF1QipPUYTKyz0nMoT5dLVFIz0-BY8vEKlBZQT7weViD