Improve Ping

Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
edited August 2015 in R&R
Hi!

I was wondering...have you guys had bad ping in game lately? If not, I guess I can isolate it to me and ask a question.

A couple of days ago I noticed my ISP changed my IP and since then, I have had really bad internet. So bad that one person could only be on, when before I could download a 20gb game (Star Citizen) while everyone else was on, some of which were online gaming. But when it started, I couldn't download an image without kicking someone off.

However, almost four nights ago my connection completely died. Called my ISP and they said it wasn't an outage, so I spent two days without internet. Yesterday morning they said it was an outage and that night it went back on and my connection seemed as fast as it was before the problems. I even get a really low ping, around 30-40 on an average day.

I thought it was good, but as soon as I load up a game, my ping shoots up to 150 to 300! I have so far tested it out on AA:PG, Team Fortress and another MMO. I'm about to test Battlefield 3 and 4 just to make sure it is consistent, but I was wondering...what can I do to improve my ping? I shouldn't be getting this high of a ping if all tests claim I have around 30-40, right? Not really sure how this works.

Thanks for reading!

*On Monday I hope to see the TWC guys at the door to fix the problem but given their track record, I bet it will be next Friday. Oh, and my router has been changed out four times this year, with this latest one being about two months old, so I really hope it isn't that.

ss_4_Root-Access.png
"I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis

Comments

• m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 652Moderator
    edited August 2015
    I like this program, called PATHPING. (Copy, don't click the link)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787365(v=ws.10).aspx

I've even used it at work when the highly trained IT team turned off the second internet connection leaving us in the dial-up age for two weeks.
  • [CLS]_SgtMac[CLS]_SgtMac Posts: 199Moderator
    Sounds like you're getting meterd (maybe you exceeded your badwidth allocation?)
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    edited August 2015
    My internet went nuts tonight on Official Opt-In 01 so I left after a round and a half. I really wanted to play, too. I was doing the ol' warping everywhere 988 ping thing.

Figured it was due to bandwidth saturation at my provider.

:(

I use Pingplotter to snoop around the network connections a bit and watch what's happening.

I have two providers now and the second one is better but has more jitter, generally.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    May or may not be related, but I believe Level3 had some major issues the last few days (though I thought they were largely resolved by now). When Level3 has issues, everybody has issues, y'know?
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    I don't know what happened, but the servers don't all have 150+ ping! Yay!
    m_hermann wrote: »
    I like this program, called PATHPING. (Copy, don't click the link)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787365(v=ws.10).aspx

I've even used it at work when the highly trained IT team turned off the second internet connection leaving us in the dial-up age for two weeks.

I'll start reading the link now in case this happens again, thanks!
    Sounds like you're getting meterd (maybe you exceeded your badwidth allocation?)

TWC claims to not data cap people. I've never been capped before, at least, and it wasn't in the description of the package either. I really hope that's not the case because I would be very furious.
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    My internet went nuts tonight on Official Opt-In 01 so I left after a round and a half. I really wanted to play, too. I was doing the ol' warping everywhere 988 ping thing.

Figured it was due to bandwidth saturation at my provider.

:(

I use Pingplotter to snoop around the network connections a bit and watch what's happening.

I have two providers now and the second one is better but has more jitter, generally.

I will try Pingplotter, thank you! Hopefully it reveals the source of the problem.
    BCPull wrote: »
    May or may not be related, but I believe Level3 had some major issues the last few days (though I thought they were largely resolved by now). When Level3 has issues, everybody has issues, y'know?

I don't know, actually. :P

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    I just looked, and I suspect Pingplotter is a graphical copy of PATHPING.....

I didn't know about pathping...I usually tracert or ping stuff from the command line.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,055Moderator
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    I just looked, and I suspect Pingplotter is a graphical copy of PATHPING.....

I didn't know about pathping...I usually tracert or ping stuff from the command line.
    Sort of, the big advantage of pingplotter is that you can run it parallel to the game, and save i.e something like the last 300-500 samples.
    ss_4_frankof.png