Some small changes to chat and voting today

12346»

Comments

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,566Player
    edited September 2015
    Just read it as it is. Vote kicks are disabled in the Opt-In. That's good.
    Don't forget to read it in context to OP.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
    I just hope that Dev's don't read my post as a negative thing when it's a positive post.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 579Player
    @-Ner0- You are right. There is a lot of abuse of vote kick, even on official servers. Some kick people on official servers so that their clan mates can play. Perhaps disabling it was not a bad idea at all.
    Even new players, a lot of them get kicked on official for playing "noob". This is a really bad thing - disappointed newcomers.
    Loremus wrote: »
    @-Ner0- You are right. There is a lot of abuse of vote kick, even on official servers. Some kick people on official servers so that their clan mates can play. Perhaps disabling it was not a bad idea at all.
    Even new players, a lot of them get kicked on official for playing "noob". This is a really bad thing - disappointed newcomers.

Yeah.. that is very common.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • JungleSheepJungleSheep Posts: 87Player
    I don't use VOIP because I don't like talking to people I'm not familiar with and I believe at least half the people who play don't use it. This only leaves text chat as a means to communicate. I'm really hoping that global text chat returns and the mute button would mute the offending player's text chat as well as VOIP. This way, you don't have to listen or read those offending comments. Mute button works great with VOIP, so I don't understand why it can't be used for text chat as well. Disabling the global chat is not a good idea for everyone who don't use VOIP. Thanks.

I don't use VOIP because I don't like talking to people I'm not familiar with and I believe at least half the people who play don't use it. This only leaves text chat as a means to communicate. I'm really hoping that global text chat returns and the mute button would mute the offending player's text chat as well as VOIP. This way, you don't have to listen or read those offending comments. Mute button works great with VOIP, so I don't understand why it can't be used for text chat as well. Disabling the global chat is not a good idea for everyone who don't use VOIP. Thanks.

Global text chat exists. No one removed it. If pressing y does not work, delete your config files and try again :)

• JoGaryJoGary Posts: 220Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    We are hiding the ping for a few reasons.
    We are not limiting the ping on the Official servers, despite that some players take it into their own hands to kick pings they deem "unworthy".
    The vast majority of the time ping is discussed in server it's one person yelling at another person for their number.

Private server admins will still be able to have their own ping rules and check the pings of their players.
    Again, this is just on the Officials.

Look at it this way. The Official servers are Army run places for people to play.
    We want a game that anyone can play without being harassed or abused, and that parents can play with their kids.

The Official servers should be as close to a safe place for this to happen as possible, and that's just not the case right now.

We will continue to look at more options with all of this, but understand that our end goal here is for the Official servers to be just good clean places to play.
    I just don't get some of these higher ups decisions. They have the rank, but don't know how to manage and surely aren't gamers.

This isn't from some high up out of touch person, this is from the core team. Sadly there is just a lot of toxic behavior on the servers, and that isn't what we want in our game.
    These decisions are being made to combat toxicity, and honestly are decisions plenty of other FPS games have made for the same reasons.

I all for a safe server but there should be some sort of limit. Although most players know to pick a low ping server there is still new people out there that will just pick a server and play because they do not understand that playing with high ping will affect their gameplay and experience. I have seen players playing with 250+ ping. that makes them a quarter of a second behind the game server. Maybe a warning in game that you have a high ping and that it will affect gameplay and a suggestion to find a server with a lower ping. Like a flash up on screen at beginning of round for high pingers only. then they can choose to look for a lower ping server or continue playing.
  • GoA]z!o[N]cya[GoA]z!o[N]cya[ Posts: 109Player
    JoGary wrote: »

I all for a safe server but there should be some sort of limit. Although most players know to pick a low ping server there is still new people out there that will just pick a server and play because they do not understand that playing with high ping will affect their gameplay and experience. I have seen players playing with 250+ ping. that makes them a quarter of a second behind the game server. Maybe a warning in game that you have a high ping and that it will affect gameplay and a suggestion to find a server with a lower ping. Like a flash up on screen at beginning of round for high pingers only. then they can choose to look for a lower ping server or continue playing.
    Two easy server-browser modifications would probably already make a big difference:
    1. Sort by ping as standard. 2. Show only pings below 150 as standard

+1
  • JungleSheepJungleSheep Posts: 87Player

Global text chat exists. No one removed it. If pressing y does not work, delete your config files and try again :)

In the OP it says no global text chats for official servers. I know it still works on private servers.
    Text chatting is also more risky now as I often get the cursor bug where I can't move my character after revive.
    I don't thank players after revive now due to the bug.

• CaterPCaterP Posts: 190Developer
    We reversed ourselves and enabled global VOIP and text chat by default.

The various input problems such as the dreaded cursor bug you mention is something we are looking into. That and the mission editor issues are top priority for us currently.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited October 2015

The easier ways to fix this rather than remove the votekick option completely.

Examples
    - 1 vote per match allowed per player.
    - both teams can see the votes and vote
    - a vote cannot be cast in the first round or start of match.
    - If the server has 24 players in it 12 on one team 12 on another 80% of the server must vote inorder for the votekick to pass. (That would mean atleast 19 players would have to vote. I doubt votekick can still be abused if 19 players need to vote. In a 6v6 server with 6 on one 6 on the other that would require 10 votes.
    - I can probably come up with more examples but yah this simple band-aid fix of removing votekick instead of fixing a broken system, is a joke. Same with hiding ping, I know when someone is lagging across my screen, I know when someone is taking more bullets to kill than others, I know when a players ping is too high causing a bad gameplay experience for me and everyone else. Removing ping only makes it a guessing game for some and no exposes the bad reg, or bad gameplay due to high, but instead of blaming it just on high ping it will now be blamed on the game and will surely cause people to think its bad. It's what it is I can manage without seeing a players ping I just know a new person to fps won't, and probably even a new person to this game but experienced fps player won't realize the game doesn't have that bad of reg its just the high pings and because they won't be able to realize that they are going to experience this terrible gameplay quite often and probably quit playing the game for good. Just look at how many people you had on at the sametime when this game came out of beta to what you have now. Then times that by a magic number and you notice a bunch of people decided to try the game out and left. Compare that with old numbers and you get about 25% or so (2129-1296=833...Average peak for past 3 days or so is about 1500 so 1500-1296=204 so 204 players divided into 833 players is about 25%) So about 1 in 4 players that try this game actually continue playing it in the 16 days of history we have so far and I am sure that percentage will only keep dropping.

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

edited October 2015
    Today on a private server, a player [mod edit] kicked out two players because time was running out in Bridge and he claimed they were too slow for attack(i think new players). Unfortunately I could not vote no as I was stuck with cursor bug.
    Vote kick abuses like this brings me back bad memories :D
  • JohnWayne203JohnWayne203 Posts: 33Player
    Today on a private server, a player [mod edit] kicked out two players because time was running out in Bridge and he claimed they were too slow for attack(i think new players). Unfortunately I could not vote no as I was stuck with cursor bug.

Guys this topic should be closed as the Beta and Opt In (which the announcement is for) are no longer in operation. You will have to take your comments to a new thread.

Guys this topic should be closed as the Beta and Opt In (which the announcement is for) are no longer in operation. You will have to take your comments to a new thread.

Actually the voting changes still apply to the new launch. So the post is still relevant.
    And I was talking about a private server which had kicking enabled.