Some small changes to chat and voting today

Comments

• =IK=SgtBadazz=IK=SgtBadazz Posts: 160Player
    Not sure why my comment removed. Everyone that I have talked with (when I'm able to) in the servers isn't happy about the change, they just don't want to waste their time posting here. I'm not a huge poster, but when there is a change for the worse, that I know many people are unhappy with, I tend to be more vocal about it. The only reason that your not seeing more posts about this is because there is hardly anyone playing the opt-in and the few that do, don't bother posting.
  • VR|46.VR|46. Posts: 28Player
    right there with you Malignant, my small clan (8 members) rly hate the way AA is changing, they just dont give a **** about forums..

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    I'm happy with it, isn't that enough? Official servers, here I come!
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,093Player
    edited August 2015
    I honestly rarely see anyone disrespecting anyone in servers. The AA community is probably the most mature I've seen for FPS games. Sure stuff happens sometimes, but it's not so common that something drastic like this needs to occur. Disabling the ability to see pings on official servers is really all that is needed at most.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    By disabling the pings, people will be wondering why they feel like they are lagging and then quit. By being able to see the pings, at least you have some explanation what is going on.
    You can still see your own ping, not too hard to determine if you are lagging..
    you just wait until you have a 20 ping and there is one guy that your hardly able to kill because he has a 300 ping that you don't know about. Anyway, I guess I'm done discussing this. America always has to please everyone else but it's own citizens.
    I bet that it will actually reduce the excuses of dying to a highpinger. Not even gonna comment on that America sentence, laughing so hard right now.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 421Player
    The biggest proponent of this is to help ease excessive ghosting in the game. A thriving community for new players and what not should be developed upon the AA mentoring program and ran exclusively by "official" supported players via team speak and scheduled activity sessions. TS in game is really not necessary IMO.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • =IK=montana!=IK=montana! Posts: 34Player
    I think this is a mistake. I understand that ghosting is a problem, but wouldn't it make more sense to eliminate the ability of downed players from talking instead, except among themselves. Idk, I am probably missing something. It seems like a really drastic move that will seriously kill the fun aspect. There has to be another way.
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    You can still see your own ping, not too hard to determine if you are lagging..
    I beg to differ. I don't think =IK=MalignantHyperthermia was saying they wouldn't be able to determine if they were lagging but WHY they are lagging. If there are enemy players that are constantly taking multiple rounds to the face and not dying, sure, we may have to assume it is because they are high pinging but it sure would be nice to be able to see when that 988 pinger joins the server, that causes everyone to lag.

side note:...we are playing a game called America's Army. It is a free game, provided by the U.S. Army, maybe there is a little hypocrisy in knocking America while complaining that its free game isn't good enough. HA HA. but hey, its the same country that awards us the free speech to say that if we choose.
    Ignorance allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. - James Baldwin
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    Let us not confuse the First Amendment in which there is Freedom of Speech with online Forums in which the only freedom you have is what the Moderators let you say.

"America the Beautiful" music in background.
    googley avatar aapg

• Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    Such a useless change. IMO if your worried about how people act towards eachother you should pull your game off the internet and play by yourself.

Easy to say if you aren't a victim of abuse. New players are getting kicked on a regular basis, it's a fact and a really sad one at the same time.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,560Beta Tester
    Well...let's see where they're going with this first. I do feel some changes are necessary since we don't have admins.

(I'd LOVE admins on Officials!!!)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 500Player
    edited September 2015
    I hope these changes don't last (and I wouldn't consider them "small"). Global text and voice chat, while it is abused at times, is generally fun, and is, in fact, one of the funnest aspects of the game. The banter is fantastic, and many genuine compliments are passed via that channel.

I dislike hiding ping because, while I try not to complain about pings, there's a point where it just becomes ridiculous (e.g., 300+).

Some of the people who need votekicks the most are hackers, not to mention the fact that trolls could easily manipulate this by purposefully playing bad without team killing.

What really needs to be done is actual rule enforcement and responding to reports. We need admins in server, or some kind of player moderator system (and abusing such powers would get you banned for life just like cheating) to deal with obvious fakes and abuse. E.g., I've reported this guy who almost has a 5.0 K/D ratio (which makes the best comp players look like noobs) and he's still there, along with his posse of hackers/sympathizers, getting easy wins because of cheats. It's a group, so you can't kick them or even do the frontier justice of team killing because you'll get kicked yourself.
  • POTATO.quantaPOTATO.quanta Posts: 32Player
    Were these changes only a temporary test? I was on official servers today and didn't notice any of the aforementioned tweaks.
    dancing_potato.gif
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    There was an issue with how we tried to implement this, so it's not active right now.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• -=DA=-Monk86-=DA=-Monk86 Posts: 3Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    So much for talking to people during 1v1s as your trying to populate the server.

Hey, that's a really good point. I do that too...! Hmm.
    This is a huge point!
    We stepped back and took a look at the most common complaints we get daily.

Abuse / harassment from players on voip was way too common.
    Abusing the vote kick system was also way too common.

Item by item we are breaking things down internally and looking for the best fix for each thing.
    The Official servers should be a safe, friendly place to play.
    There should be no insults, vulgarity, etc on them.

Some examples of steps we are taking internally right now:

Improved ROE system that will auto-ban griefers
    Removal of visible ping to stop that constant harassment (you will see your own, not anyone else's)
    Improved Admin response times and an improved reporting system

I could go on, but this at least explains the basic idea.
    Expect us to keep trying little things like this up until launch.

Please keep in mind this is for the Official servers ONLY, you private server guys will still have all the options you always have.

Please be very careful about micro managing peoples feelings. I am a 47 year old mom that has raised 3 kids, all gamers. What got me hooked on AA was the community, which means its not all bad, quite the opposite I love the community. Yes there are jerks, but there always will be in life. I do not like the matches that are quiet, from either side, global chat is what makes this game awesome. There are more good people playing than jerks, and I have heard on many occasions, someone telling someone else to watch what they say because of kids in server etc.
    Ping: I also think this is a mistake to remove being able to see everyones in game. This game is still gaining lots of new players. The computer geeks (no disrespect) need to step back, and look from a new gamers perspective, Ping? what is that? what affects it? if you are new to gaming who do you think teaches you about ping? it is the other people you are playing with! and more often than not they will say "get your ping down" the new player says "how"? (over VOIP) and in floods a whole bunch of info for a new gamer.
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 579Player
    I'm really happy about the voting change.
    Got kicked twice today on the official servers.
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    I'm only here for the community and your team ( DEV / no global ) have cut it in half. :'(

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________