Surround Sound correct set up for head set???

JoGaryJoGary Posts: 220Player
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
I had been using a Logitech G430 with USB virtual 7.1 surround sound and my inexperienced ears though they where pretty good and I usually could position a enemy accurately. they where simple to set up and worked quite well. But after reading Soundy''s post mentioning that a sound card with AMP for headset built in is preferable to USB. So I bought a Creative Sound Blaster Z card and installed it. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to set up for best in-game experience. Do I just set to headphones in Creative control panel and 5.1 surround in windows audio settings? or should I use enhanced surround in creative settings as well??? Also would game surround benefit from using a virtual surround sound software like Razor???
This one for you Sound'y but all comments welcome.

ps. a basic guide for setting up surround sound settings optimal for the game would be welcome.
wanted to add that there are many guides and tweaks on graphics setting but could find non for sound!!!

Comments

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    I will pm you how to setup but what headphones you using with the Sound blaster z?
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

Btw for windows sound configuration you put to 5.1 select all optional speakers you can but for Full-Range Speakers make sure all unchecked.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    Thanks for helping, Colts.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • JoGaryJoGary Posts: 220Player
    I still using the Logitech G430s but without the USB dongle. Just plugging them in Analogue.
    JoGary wrote: »
    I still using the Logitech G430s but without the USB dongle. Just plugging them in Analogue.

ah ok.
    Keebler750 wrote: »

It's what I do :smiley: Just everyone I help usually is through steam :wink:

pm me your steam name if you could be so kind :smiley:

ah ok.

It's what I do :smiley: Just everyone I help usually is through steam :wink:

ok np done

Thanks Colts for the setting in PM. They have given me a good baseline to begin working with. Need to lower my footsteps bass though. They sound so loud and as if I am stomping around with wellingtons on :neutral: Big booming footsteps lol.
    I did notice that I had better ability to gauge how far the enemy was from me with my old set up. May be I just ned to tweak EQ and use it more to get used to it. Was thinking though would Smart Volume Management being turned on maybe levelling out footsteps so it harder to gauge their distance???
    edited August 2015
    Bassy footsteps is no good at all. PM sent how to get rid of bassy footsteps. Also I don't think so what Smart Volume Management does is essentially it is suppose to make all sounds the same level, so gun fire will never be too much louder than footsteps. I have had minor issues in past opt-ins gauging distance 1-5% of the time but most of the time I can tell but one other issue is all footstep sounds are the same volume.

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,029Moderator
    Unless you have the exact same setup and listening preferences, you cant use other players settings directly, but it will give you a base to stand on where you apply your own adjustments.
    ss_4_frankof.png
    frankof wrote: »
    Unless you have the exact same setup and listening preferences, you cant use other players settings directly, but it will give you a base to stand on where you apply your own adjustments.

For equalizer settings yah.

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,029Moderator
    frankof wrote: »

For equalizer settings yah.
    Dare i say it, what else?
    no, i dont have the soundblaster z, but the old x-fi fatal1ty, in all honesty, i haven't touched the settings in years until recently to get rid of some of the "edge" on the M4 sound, it hurts, and its not the volume, but rather the characteristics of the sound, it didn't fit that well with my headphones and ears.

ss_4_frankof.png
    Could be my headset but SoundBlaster seems to default to really bass loud. Read somewhere it was because it amped to 600ohms and my headset is only 32ohms and was known problem with lower ohms headsets. Not really a problem though as EQ settings can resolve.
  • SoundySoundy Posts: 87Developer
    Wow. You dudes use fancy stuff.

I must re-emphasize that we do not cater to performance enhancing audio additives. We built this so everyone can play and enjoy no matter how much money they have for their game rigs.

I use motherboard analog 2-channel outputs and a pair of Sennheiser HD280 studio reference headphones because they are in arms reach plugged up to my audio editing rig for checking output on cans when cutting sounds at work. If they are not available I plug in some earbuds or whatever I can find. At home I have an old trusty set of Sony MDR-V6's from DJ'ing back in the day.

Personally, I don't use fancy software to tweak EQ's or virtualize anything. I use my teammates and communicate to assess the AO.
    Good post, Soundy. I always wondered what we're up against from the testing environment to 'out in public' because obviously that affects what is 'normal.'

I happen to like your approach for the logistics of keeping a diverse community happy 'on average' but...

I recommend having you or someone in the process check once in a while what the 'good' equipment sounds like so your work isn't wasted when it goes upscale. The big $$ people will always be your most vocal critics. The others will be "Meh. Whatever."
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • SoundySoundy Posts: 87Developer
    Good post, Soundy. I always wondered what we're up against from the testing environment to 'out in public' because obviously that affects what is 'normal.'

I happen to like your approach for the logistics of keeping a diverse community happy 'on average' but...

I recommend having you or someone in the process check once in a while what the 'good' equipment sounds like so your work isn't wasted when it goes upscale. The big $$ people will always be your most vocal critics. The others will be "Meh. Whatever."

If and when we choose to support dedicated audio hardware, QA will acquire and test with said equipment.
    edited August 2015
    I see you're pretty good at stereo.....LOL :)

And roger that on the dedicated hardware.
    ______

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    2 channels? could this be why it feels like the sound stage is non-existent? i mean even the jet fly by in overload is not a great sound stage. all ambient sound such as generators and such in every map have a funky point of origin that can't be identified, etc.
    -
    forgive me if i find this odd. testing everything with only 2 channels... i would think the sound engineers of an fps game should at the very least use some surround sound headphones to dial in the sound of their game, which is in large part based on surround sound.... so those who use more than 2 channels can hear more than just left and right. i'm sure any other fps studio would make sure their game has solid surround sound support built in.
    -
    there are very basic headphones that are cheap and provide 7.1 dolby digital sound for only $50. so i see no reason to not give sound a thorough pass to work properly with this stuff.

edited August 2015
    Could be my headset but SoundBlaster seems to default to really bass loud. Read somewhere it was because it amped to 600ohms and my headset is only 32ohms and was known problem with lower ohms headsets. Not really a problem though as EQ settings can resolve.

There is spot in your sound blaster console where you can enable 600 ohms headphones so as long as you don't have this checked it will be no issue. If you had/have this check it would/will probably blow/destroy your headphones since they are 32 ohms. As for the really loud bass I need to see images of your sound settings to know if you went wrong somewhere.
    Soundy wrote: »
    Wow. You dudes use fancy stuff.

I must re-emphasize that we do not cater to performance enhancing audio additives. We built this so everyone can play and enjoy no matter how much money they have for their game rigs.

I use motherboard analog 2-channel outputs and a pair of Sennheiser HD280 studio reference headphones because they are in arms reach plugged up to my audio editing rig for checking output on cans when cutting sounds at work. If they are not available I plug in some earbuds or whatever I can find. At home I have an old trusty set of Sony MDR-V6's from DJ'ing back in the day.

Personally, I don't use fancy software to tweak EQ's or virtualize anything. I use my teammates and communicate to assess the AO.
    Soundy wrote: »
    If and when we choose to support dedicated audio hardware, QA will acquire and test with said equipment.
    I don't see why you would need to support dedicated audio hardware. Sound cards do not come setup perfectly for gaming by default. You need to configure your settings properly. As for you using mobo audio with your Sennheiser HD 280 that is just awful sorry :disappointed:

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,190Player
    I think the idea is that they try to make this game accessible to as many people as possible, I'm sure we can all agree that not everyone is tech savvy enough, nor in most cases even fortunate enough to go buying all this expensive stuff and so realistically most players of this game will most likely be using their onboard sound card with maybe a semi decent pair of headphones.

It's not a case of them not wanting to cater for your $$$'s worth of studio quality fandangly awesome sound setup, I'm sure they'd love too! its about them wanting to cater to as many people with various different setups as is possible.

I really don't think it's fair to say the sound dev don't care about it, he was kind enough to come and tell us all about how they have worked with sound, sharing his expertise with us who may question why things sound like they do and he did a pretty good job of it I think.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.