AA3 numbers (or lack of it)

KodenKoden Posts: 284Player
edited August 2015 in R&R
AA3 numbers. Or rather, lack of them...an average of 73 players during the latest 30 days.

How on Earth can it be that the all of the services related to AA3 are still kept on and maintained if the game is played by an handful? AA2 services were shut down with numbers that were likely twice if not 3 times those...

http://steamcharts.com/app/13140

astwergf.jpg

Derob6.jpg

Comments

• =IK=Wonkss=IK=Wonkss Posts: 92Player
    edited August 2015
    you realize that's aa3 and not aa:pg right aapg has -

playing an hour ago

24-hour peak

all-time peak
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    http://steamspy.com/app/13140 -- AA3
    http://steamspy.com/app/203290 -- AAPG

By their estimates, in the last two weeks:
    AAPG had ~35K +/- 5K different players logging ~210,000 hours
    AA3 had ~6K +/- 2K different players logging ~9,000 hours

It's definitely a much smaller title. For some reason I thought the Army had already officially discontinued support for it? I imagine anything still running on their end is bare bones.
  • Dem@nDem@n Posts: 564Player
    edited August 2015
    Peak concurrent players yesterday: 1,220 for PG

last two weeks 35,116 / 14 = average 2,508 daily
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    AA3 is still up because PG hasn't officially released yet. Once PG does, AA3 will be removed from Steam.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,572Player
    AA3 isn't supported by PunkBuster. If you download it now you can't play it.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • venom.Co$ta^.venom.Co$ta^. Posts: 8Player
    -Ner0- wrote: »

That's true. I had to download the old punkbuster files from the internet and overwrite the new pb files that are associated with AA3 if downloaded recently from Steam. This is due to the fact that the few servers running at the moment haven't updated Punkbuster within the server.
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,572Player
    K!Dz.Co$tA wrote: »
    -Ner0- wrote: »

That's true. I had to download the old punkbuster files from the internet and overwrite the new pb files that are associated with AA3 if downloaded recently from Steam. This is due to the fact that the few servers running at the moment haven't updated Punkbuster within the server.
    Yes, I have the old PB files and have shared it.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    AA3 is still up because PG hasn't officially released yet. Once PG does, AA3 will be removed from Steam.

Can people inquire about the source with all U.S. army graphic and scripts removed? be like Carmack give to the world see what grows?

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited August 2015
    Bam4D wrote: »

Can people inquire about the source with all U.S. army graphic and scripts removed? be like Carmack give to the world see what grows?

This was addressed in the past when people asked about releasing the source for AA2. Keep in mind that this was back in late 2013.
    http://archive2.forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?p=82314&sid=442bd2ecf2f2e35f6999f8d035fbee64#p82314
    I'm uncomfortable with all this talk about forking...

But seriously, we appreciate your interests but the AA source won't be released as open source because of our agreements with Epic Games. They own the intellectual property to their game engine and we just license it.

AA2 is created using the base Unreal Engine 2 but the source code is intermingled and there is no viable way to separate the two.

I know this is not the answer you were looking for but Hopefully some good news is the new release of AA Proving Grounds provides modes of play where we bring back some of the old game characteristics and favorite maps. Come give it a try and check out a Hard Core map. You can download it free on Steam at

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203290/

Look for me out there

Law

I'd imagine something similar may be true for AA3 and Unreal Engine 3. I believe UE4's fully open-sourced, though. That may create more room for developers to go that route in the future.

I believe AAPG shares a lot of code with AA3, so there may also be comfort issues on that front. Who knows.

Things may change in the future. After all, somebody earlier in that very thread said Epic would "NEVER" open source their engines and look what happened :)
    edited August 2015
    Unreal is free to anyone for non profit. Hence why the ARMY uses it, the full blow engine can be used by anyone.. now taking it to market for sales.. Different story.

Think Lawgiver broke the LAW on his facts.

https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4 now it's front page news anyone can make a game if they like.

All versions been that way since 2005

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

IS UDK REALLY FOR ME TO USE?
    Sure, you can download UDK, create your project and distribute it completely free of cost.

********Bam4D********

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    edited August 2015
    There's no plan to release our source on AA/AA2/AA3/AAPG.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

Case Closed :(

********Bam4D********

• KodenKoden Posts: 284Player

It makes sense, it's a bit appalling to think that the "official" America's Army game still is AA3 O.o which has less content than AAPG in its entire beta lifetime..
    Derob6.jpg