In-game behavior & enforcement question

SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
In light of this topic and the official moderator reply:
http://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/2829/uncalled-for-pedophile-no-way-to-contact-the-right-source
Bear_82 wrote:
since this was a third-party server, you'll need to contact them via the link Uni-Sol provided

Is this official policy? Any behavior is acceptable on third-party servers, admins won't touch it?

Comments

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    Pretty hard to force some rules on third-party servers when the owners pay for them too. There is plenty of servers out there not sure what you expect to happen, but you got a problem with a server or get kicked from server go to a new server.

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    They mentioned game account getting banned as punishment which would restrict you from playing on 3rd party servers as well for that account so I don't quite get this either.
    Who mentioned? I think I am missing something here.

• LargsargLargsarg Posts: 9Beta Tester
    I'm wondering why people would expect the game developers to enforce rules on servers that are not official servers. In other words why would a person who pays for a private server want another party enforcing rules on it.
    Largsarg wrote: »
    I'm wondering why people would expect the game developers to enforce rules on servers that are not official servers. In other words why would a person who pays for a private server want another party enforcing rules on it.

Exactly. I don't get this post at all.

TheTots wrote: »
    http://www.army.mil/values/

Aside from that, losing your account is a decent punishment most players care about. Once we add in the unlocks and progression that will sting even more.
    SSKnecabo wrote: »

Aside from that, losing your account is a decent punishment most players care about. Once we add in the unlocks and progression that will sting even more.

Does it look like we are in the army?

Does it look like we are in the army?

From that comment it seems like they enforce army values on the community regardless of what we as individuals think, so I guess it's pointless to discuss that now. However if they ban accounts (as it seems like from that quote) I don't get why they ban for violations on official servers only (while at the same time banning from 3rd party servers with that) but not vice-versa.

It's not even about my personal opinion, just curious about this weird policy.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,191Player
    If there's evidence to back up rule breaking and it's something that has happened on 'their' product, impacting on all users of the game, not just on private servers (lets face it if they do it on privates.. they probably do it on officials too) then they absolutely should have the right to rid the game of the offender.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited August 2015

There's this bizarre view in the community that "I paid for it, I *own* it", as if a private server becomes its own separate entity with no responsibility or connection to the game.

The servers run the Devs' game. It's the game's reputation at stake. Why shouldn't the Devs/Army concern themselves over what happens on the game's servers?

I'm extremely confident that there are behaviors that would cause server ownership to be revoked. The question, then, is where is the line drawn?

Why is there opposition to the game having some universal guidelines on acceptable behavior? What are you afraid is going to happen?

Edit to add: By all means, let private servers go more stringent on standards and rules. But what's wrong with a minimum standard being enforced universally? And why is it appropriate for a moderator response to a player behavior issue to essentially be "Not my problem, not the game's problem, take a hike." ?
  • Dem@nDem@n Posts: 564Player
    edited August 2015
    i get constantly provoked in to trash talk mouth karate sessions even on private servers,often by clans who rent it , ignoring their own hypocrit rules like "respect all players" bla bla.Situations often end with a kick or ban for me,without or exactly because i don't say a word just because they can.
    Votekick system is constantly abused on Official servers aswell,got a nice video today of 3 people constantly voting players out they don't want to play against to loose.So what is the solution,where are the lines drawn?Why souldn't be universal rules enforced even for private servers and their admins if they abuse their given powers. Isn't the same game running on these servers aswell?Did i miss something? Would like to see the amount of people who will join such a server if they don't appear in the server browser ,their scores and stats are not tracked for a fixed period of time for example as "punishment" or warning .Also would like to see the "you don't produce pb screenshots" or "you produce black pb screenshots" excuses after demo rec gets implemented and used.
  • LargsargLargsarg Posts: 9Beta Tester
    You don't have to play on any server if you don't want to and I doubt that game numbers would go up if somehow the Game would invoke its will arbitrarily on a server that someone else pays to Host. Who sets the standards. I make my own mind up on what servers that I am willing to play on but I don't agree that standards should be enforced on a private server by anyone other then the group that plays on the servers.

Players have the ability to mute Voice which is a big deal. I would also love to see the ability to mute the Text chat so I don't have to see the garbage. But I believe the individual should determine his level of acceptance of what he tolerates and his choice is to play on that Box or not.
    My standard of talk and behavior is much different the a younger persons. But I choose when and where I play. The Army should have standards on its Boxes set by the Customer of the game. Not on private servers. It is after all a game that sole purpose is loosely bounded in reality.
    edited August 2015
    So you don't agree with me that there are lots of servers in my experience the majority of them that ignore their own set rules,clans running these do as they wish ,with admins not qualifyed to make calls regarding players due to lack of game knowledge,age,experience,provoke kick and ban people without reasons or made up reasons just to get rid of players, manipulating the teams and so manipulating the outcome of matches yet they are in the same Auth/score/stat system as official servers ? Isn't that manipulation of the system itself with open backdoors ?

Lets say I start renting a 24 slot server tomorrow,run only inner hospital and Slums Take and Hold on it 24/7.
    Kick and Ban every player that represents a threat to my clans winning streaks,pile thousands of points together in no time every day without any oversight or responsibility yet i appear suddenly on toplists for match/round high scores impossible to reach for others.How is this fair in your opinion?Isn't this cheating the system?The banned /kicked players can't turn to the official site and make abuse reports to fight their case.
    Don't think the "my money,my server,everyone else can shut the front door" speech will cut it.
    You don't have to play on any server if you don't want to and I doubt that game numbers would go up if somehow the Game would invoke its will arbitrarily on a server that someone else pays to Host.
    This assumes that toxic behavior has no negative effects. I don't agree.
    Who sets the standards.
    Why shouldn't the Devs, together with the military consultants, establish the standards for their game? The military, not the person renting a server, is the customer.
    I make my own mind up on what servers that I am willing to play on but I don't agree that standards should be enforced on a private server by anyone other then the group that plays on the servers.
    It's very much a free market approach. My view is that markets need regulation.
    Players have the ability to mute Voice which is a big deal. I would also love to see the ability to mute the Text chat so I don't have to see the garbage. But I believe the individual should determine his level of acceptance of what he tolerates and his choice is to play on that Box or not.
    I agree with all of this. I just go a step further in thinking that some behaviors universally have no place, regardless of who is hosting the box.
    My standard of talk and behavior is much different the a younger persons. But I choose when and where I play. The Army should have standards on its Boxes set by the Customer of the game. Not on private servers. It is after all a game that sole purpose is loosely bounded in reality.
    Again, my understanding is that, ultimately, the military is the customer, regardless of if the box is under their immediate control. Running the game --> running the game's code of conduct.
  • GoodvibeGoodvibe Posts: 94Player
    Seriously is that a big deal though? At the end of the day it's a game. I play on the servers I like, with people I like, with the odd exception. You can already turn of the text chat so that ain't a problem either, although for someone like me, where it's my only means of communication, it can be awkward.
    Whatever they do on their private servers is up to them really. You can't expect everyone to play on officials to make sure the points earned are earned justly. Besides; it's impossible to enforce a level of good conduct on the private servers, as reality shows, it's hard enough to enforce this on the officials..
  • LeMaestroLeMaestro Posts: 26Player

From that comment it seems like they enforce army values on the community regardless of what we as individuals think, so I guess it's pointless to discuss that now. However if they ban accounts (as it seems like from that quote) I don't get why they ban for violations on official servers only (while at the same time banning from 3rd party servers with that) but not vice-versa.

It's not even about my personal opinion, just curious about this weird policy.

Maybe because they own the game!
    Reading everything here might help: http://www.americasarmy.com/legal

edited August 2015
    Goodvibe wrote: »
    Seriously is that a big deal though? At the end of the day it's a game. I play on the servers I like, with people I like, with the odd exception. You can already turn of the text chat so that ain't a problem either, although for someone like me, where it's my only means of communication, it can be awkward.
    Whatever they do on their private servers is up to them really. You can't expect everyone to play on officials to make sure the points earned are earned justly. Besides; it's impossible to enforce a level of good conduct on the private servers, as reality shows, it's hard enough to enforce this on the officials..

There's a difference between going out patrolling and trying to enforce rules everywhere, which may well be too difficult just as you suggest, and choosing to turn a blind eye when an issue is directly raised via the correct channels.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,191Player
    edited August 2015
    BC, Could you please add a link to the OP to the discussion that got locked? my name is in the quote and it looks like I'm in on it, people hate me enough :lol:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

edited August 2015
    i look at private servers as partners in a frenchise,where the USARMY is Headquarters and players are the customers.If you constantly lower the brand names quality,damage it's reputation trick the customers providing a low quality service,if a couple warnings from the headquaters don't make a change you are out of the frenchise.
    BC, Could you please add a link to the OP to the discussion that got locked? my name is in the quote and it looks like I'm in on it, people hate me enough :lol:
    Yep, updated with a link to the earlier topic / request for support.
This discussion has been closed.