Shadowplay tips?

Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
I've got a three monitor setup on a GTX780sc and of course typical issues with flicker and quality. I've got different capture rates, frame rate in game, monitor refresh, etc etc.

One thing I've been trying to do is make all of those numbers be equal or multiples if I can. It seems to make everything work smoother for making videos.

So, if I'm capturing at 60 fps I would run 120hz monitor refresh and cap the frames ingame at 120 and use smoothing.

Also...I've noticed something interesting and it must be due to these same issues of the numbers fighting each other...when viewing the Shadowplay vids in Media Player I often drag it off to the side on a different monitor just like I do with other videos. It doesn't work anywhere near as well as if I play it on the same monitor that the video came off of....my central gaming monitor. I wonder how this affects putting vids up on YouTube?!

I'm sure this stuff is old news for some of you, but I thought I'd pipe up for anyone who found it useful to discuss.
______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.

Comments

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    Are all three monitors the same refresh rate? or model.

Also 122 fps IMO is better because if you use 120 the game will dip below 120 sometimes into the 119's.

I have a TV connected to my PC as well as the ASUS 144hz monitor. I run 120hz/lightboost for gaming and inorder to have the 120hz/lightboost working I need my TV unplugged. The TV forces everything to run at 60hz. So if you have one monitor that is 60hz and not 120hz it is probably doing the same thing to do. You might think your running at 120hz but in reality your not.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    Hmm. Well...I "think" my 144 is working at whatever I set it to...but now you've got me thinking.

I think it IS though because of the differences I spoke of in video quality when I move the window to the right monitor.

I'll report back after I do some testing.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    there's so many cases. i have one situation where i play another game with vsync in windowed mode. game runs 144fps in full screen but i have to use windowed so when i alt tab i get full access to my desktop shortcuts...
    -
    initially though, i ran into issue the game won't run at 144fps in default windowed... apparently because the border of the window is touching the taskbar or the edge of the monitor screen, so it was forcing the game to max out at 60fps. if i resize the window a bit smaller and make sure all 4 sides do not ouch any edges, then the game magically runs at the 144fps. i assume this is due to my 2nd monitor being plain 60Hz.
    -
    also maybe i'm just dumb, but i don't see any support for shadowplay in some games that others claim it supports, and also for me games that do work with shadowplay only work in full screen. so that particular game i play i am unable to record...

Weird. Mine even records going back and forth to the desktop!
    ______

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    well, like down in the corner of the game screen you see the shadowplay icon, so you know it is working. i get that in full screen, but if i try windowed mode that icon isn't there... and the hotkeys don't work either.

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,572Player
    there's so many cases. i have one situation where i play another game with vsync in windowed mode. game runs 144fps in full screen but i have to use windowed so when i alt tab i get full access to my desktop shortcuts...
    -
    initially though, i ran into issue the game won't run at 144fps in default windowed... apparently because the border of the window is touching the taskbar or the edge of the monitor screen, so it was forcing the game to max out at 60fps. if i resize the window a bit smaller and make sure all 4 sides do not ouch any edges, then the game magically runs at the 144fps. i assume this is due to my 2nd monitor being plain 60Hz.
    -
    also maybe i'm just dumb, but i don't see any support for shadowplay in some games that others claim it supports, and also for me games that do work with shadowplay only work in full screen. so that particular game i play i am unable to record...

Record a game you play windowed? Tick for "Allow desktop capture" in Shadowplay preferences.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    edited August 2015
    Wait what.. a second monitor not at 120 or in my case 144 will force the other to be 60?? Huh... my gaming monitor says 144hz.. so why would it be downsized or whatever
    How would you see that? Or test it.. as far as I know I'm running 144hz, with 150 fps in game

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    Unless I'm mistaken the monitor's OSD will show current res and refresh in real time. I'm at work, though...

That's at least ONE way to check. I dunno.
    ______

Not sure if my OSD has that info..I'll check.. I set mine in windows, and confirm with Nvidia experience

• .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    The nvidia video cards can handle one monitor at 144hz and one at 60hz, though I'm not sure about 3 monitors. Maybe there is something about the RAMDAC that can't process those speeds when 3 displays are connected?
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
    To clarify, in the OP I was talking more about how all the numbers affect good Shadowplay quality. As far as I know I don't have any refresh problems. After the posts above, I just thought I ought to verify...

:)
    ______

My monitor On Screen Display (OSD) does in fact show current resolution, refresh and connection (in my case Display Port)...

Too busy testing other stuff and forgot to do it in 3D though... :(
    ______

edited August 2015
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Wait what.. a second monitor not at 120 or in my case 144 will force the other to be 60?? Huh... my gaming monitor says 144hz.. so why would it be downsized or whatever
    How would you see that? Or test it.. as far as I know I'm running 144hz, with 150 fps in game
    My bad if your running duplicate screens thats my issue. You can get in your desktop advanced display settings it will show you. TV plugged in both say 60hz. TV unplugged monitor says 120hz.

I need your shadowplay settings btw keebler

Yeah in advanced settings it shows both monitors and the hrz for both.. I thought what youre saying is that although it may show that, it's actually down scaled to the lesser of the two... was gonna unplug the old one

=IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Yeah in advanced settings it shows both monitors and the hrz for both.. I thought what youre saying is that although it may show that, it's actually down scaled to the lesser of the two... was gonna unplug the old one
    A good way to test is try using lightboost, unplug your old monitor install lightboost, then once's its install make sure its active and working lightbulb in bottom right will be on and then plug in your monitor if it stays on its working.

edited August 2015
    I just tested my OSD in 3D....looks like it reports current Windows settings through the Display Port connection, not the real time monitor settings in the game. I changed the res in Settings > Video in the game and it didn't change the OSD.

I did notice that setting my refresh to something like 85hz in Windows limited my FPS in the game to 85 even if I had the max FPS set to higher or had Smoothing turned off. Why is that?

Does that mean that a player with a high end card but a non-gaming monitor is limited to 60fps?!

:open_mouth:

EDIT: Thanks to BC, please ignore me more than usual..... :D

@-colts.iog- I'm going to do some testing on the same demorec file with different settings to make a Shadowplay and post my findings and what the settings did to it...
    ______

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Does that mean that a player with a high end card but a non-gaming monitor is limited to 60fps?!

:open_mouth:
    It's not clear to me where all of your numbers are coming from. As a physical matter, the answer's obviously yes, but a system can definitely render more FPS than the monitor is capable of displaying.

Do you have Vsync enabled? That would couple your in-game FPS to the monitor refresh rate by design. With that off, they can each do whatever they like.
    edited August 2015
    Oh, crap. Thank you! I was fiddling with that the other day and forgot to turn it off!!!! DUH!

I'm really sloppy lately with details. I didn't used to be like that. :(
    ______

edited August 2015
    I haven't had a chance to test this Shadowplay stuff to do a report on the Settings effects, but I have been playing with a weird game setup...this is an example of trying to get all the numbers working together.

I have my Asus monitor refreshing at 144hz in Windows, then I set the max frame rate in the Opt-In to 144, turn smoothing on AND vsync on.

I never use vsync! Yet this for me is smoooooooth.

On my GTX780 and i7-4970 I'm running AAPG maxxed and this it sitting at 144fps on a map like Breach no problem. Even on Slums, where it can drop 10 or 15 fps, it still seems really smooth.

I'd be interested if you all have any ideas or comments.
    ______

Have you tried no vsync? Same settings just no vsync?