3D Tags. Friendlies, Enemies, Objectives.

ProceduralPolyMathProceduralPolyMath Posts: 96Player
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
I really don't like 3D Tags. It's a wally system that breaks immersion every time.

- You see friendly tags behind walls. Before there was much more tension when you suddenly faced someone in a corner because you rapidly had to assess if it was friend or foe. Little or no time to look at the compass. Now you just see a arrow coming around the corner...
- You see enemies tags walking behind walls after reported, this tells you their movements after they are not in your sight line... But... You can't report enemy positions if you don't have a line of sight with them, if they ducked, etc. Reporting of enemies should be tied onto the map and not onto players. Plus a string with the picked location is always nice.
- Several times a 3D tag happens to be right in line with the small area you're trying to aim at and obstructs the fire line.
- It's abused to highlight players that you're not sure where they are. "Oh I'm getting shot from that direction, let me just spam spotting and it will tell me from where it is". Same for players in bushes.
- You have to turn your head to an objective direction to check what is its status, instead of having either icons or text in a corner telling you the mission objectives or calling events. I'm even ok with voice event calling like CoD.

I played COD , BFBC2 and BF3 and never liked 3D Tags there there, (For infantry in BF). They always get in a way at some point and it's quite arcadish and really breaks the immersion of the graphics quality those games have. "Here's a great quality landscape that really takes you somewhere and here's also some wallhack markers so you don't forget that it's a game".

Cheers
3D Tags. Friendlies, Enemies, Objectives.
  1. What are your thoughts about the current Situation Awareness System?29 votes
    1. Keep the 3D Tag system as is.
      13.79%
    2. Keep the 3D Tag system but change it.
      10.34%
    3. AA2 / AA3 SAI style: Overview mini-map, objectives in a corner, enemy spotted location string.
      72.41%
    4. Another system (which?)
        3.45%

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,616Beta Tester
    Say....Didn't AA2 have something that pointed the direction to the Objective instead of floating in the HUD?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • ProceduralPolyMathProceduralPolyMath Posts: 96Player
    edited May 2015
    It was a HUD compass, sitting on top of the screen with the compass markings and along it put the objectives and friendlies with respective role. That changed with AA 2.7 that came with Steamroller that really showed the advantages of the new system by adding vertical indicators and enemy report strings of where you were looking at: "Enemy Spotted, South Building 4th floor".
  • Yato^Yato^ Posts: 103Player
    edited May 2015
    Personally I'd prefer the standard to be closer to the hardcore hud but knowing that most people like the arcade part of the game that won't happen. If it were up to me the 3D tags would be gone all together. Yes, I could play on a server with hardcore settings but running around in warmup gets dull after 30 seconds. The need for teamwork through VoIP would become something necessary. As it is right now I don't need VoIP on because all I need to do is look around and see where what side of the map my team died on, that spot is where the enemy is likely to be at sooner or later. It even works if you're pushing for ground instead of defending if you put in half a thought into it.

Edit: Note that this would also have the indirect effect of lowering an individuals skill cap by forcing them to rely more on their team to pull off a win. That is the one and only issue I have with it. Being punished for someone elses shortcomings is always a bad feeling.
  • -=]WM[=-Akuma-=]WM[=-Akuma Posts: 8Player
    i wish it was like that!! and other thing to like HS ur dead(no option on server), when u kill a enemy it shows +100 points(look like a bonus 4 kids)take that off. just make it hardcore like in aa2, aa3. without the option to change on servers.. its more real! almost everybody wants like this but no one puts hardcore servers anymore!!
    467.png
    edited May 2015
    Akuma, I don't get why the devs say that hardcore is for comp. The whole game should be hardcore period. Was hardcore in AA2 and that didn't break it. This whole thing of making things easy by default is so annoying.

A loss of standards.
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,576Player
    I would vote "Keep the 3D Tags as they are." But that isn't possible.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    -Ner0- wrote: »

Coincidence? I think not.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited May 2015
    Don't include/Take away the option that's already in the game.. so it has no choice but lose :lol:

This is a darn conspiracy!

I voted AA3/AA3 style :) (double AA3 intended) but they can keep them how they are for all I really care.. especially now the spot system is getting changed up to once per 5 seconds, in opt-in it didn't seem so prevalent or detrimental as it can be at times.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    I've been complaining about the 3D tags since day 1. It's never going to change so I won't waste much more time typing about it.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    edited May 2015
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    I've been complaining about the 3D tags since day 1. It's never going to change so I won't waste much more time typing about it.
    i listened to a podcast like a year ago? they talked to a dev about finding a balance between min hud and too much hud. to hear them believe they've found a balance is disheartening. i don't think they understand how much hud they have, and how it takes the adrenaline and thinking skills right out of the gameplay..
    -
    another sad thing is, this game still doesn't have those doors they talked about for so long... every official map is no doors.
    -
    it reminds me of a ridiculous game that's coming out "rainbow six: siege".
    -
    i mean that game is literally a house with a hostage, but if you've seen the game, the house has NO DOORS. none. bathroom door? nope. bedroom doors? nope. garage door? nope. front door???? nothing. that game is going to be a sad joke too. the strafe speed is hilariously bad. reminds me of strafing in supported position in aapg. dance party zig zag while firing your gun. nothing tactical about it. the hud in that game is also atrocious.
    -
    just another case of another dev team thinking they have to have a ton of casual hud and fast gameplay to be a successful game. but you will see when that game comes out... it will flop.

edited May 2015
    cK^KILL@ wrote: »

No need to be sly as usual :)

I've never done a pool before. And I thought the first option was to be put there, but turns out that is the question, again. I thought I could just start laying options ;)
    http://prntscr.com/71be18

So yeah it's a coincidence because it was the first option ;)

Poll deleted and fixed. Vote again if you have already voted!
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    cK^KILL@ wrote: »

No need to be sly as usual :)

I've never done a pool before. And I thought the first option was to be put there, but turns out that is the question, again. I thought I could just start laying options ;)
    http://prntscr.com/71be18

So yeah it's a coincidence because it was the first option ;)

Wow, you are as good in understanding jokes as you are in understanding "stacked" teams.
    edited May 2015
    Lol at justifying h4ackish mechanic with bushes. Bushes, bushes everywhere. Ah... the usual dumb off-topic arguments... "Since one detail is fudged, lets fudge something else more."
    134 posts already? Wow. Much content. Such wisdom.
  • [eSC]General.Jung[eSC]General.Jung Posts: 144Player
    edited May 2015
    "- wrote:
    WM[=-Akuma;3127"]i wish it was like that!! and other thing to like HS ur dead(no option on server), when u kill a enemy it shows +100 points(look like a bonus 4 kids)take that off. just make it hardcore like in aa2, aa3. without the option to change on servers.. its more real! almost everybody wants like this but no one puts hardcore servers anymore!!
    I agree somewhat, because I am actually missing a variable to disable the realtime score tracking like on scoreboard, otherwise disabling the activity feed isn't that effective. But optional playerindicators are important to make it easier for more new players to get in.
    Akuma, I don't get why the devs say that hardcore is for comp. The whole game should be hardcore period. Was hardcore in AA2 and that didn't break it. This whole thing of making things easy by default is so annoying.

A loss of standards.
    I agree and I am also very sad about that progress. Futhermore I also would be pleased if hardcore settings are going to be default and the servers with more accessable settings would be marked as such in the server browser. But I don't think its a realistic approach anymore to change AA:PG in this way, but maybe the classic mode is a chance to get much of those changes away and getting a mode to conserve somewhat of the old play-style in AA:PG. I really hope the discussion about the classic mode is going to start soon.
    -
    So please bear up here in the forum and fight for not too much artifical balance in AA:PG. Make sure that you guys will play the next opt-in and giving feedback here in forums.
    edited May 2015
    Is the Opt-in still going on? o_O
  • Bear_82Bear_82 Posts: 382Moderator
    opt-in weekend #2 starts 07 May
    I can't find it :/

CZuk7rt.png
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    I think it's 4 PM GMT.