UMM Dev-Pick & Retro Map Event!

Comments

• derob.Stephanderob.Stephan Posts: 62Player
    edited May 2015
    Some AA2 maps may not work properly because of the missing gametypes in aapg
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    How does it not fit? It's a map..you have a gun..you run around shooting people as before on the same map..seems pretty simple to me.

As far as scopes changing sight lines and angles..you adjust you conquer.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,177Player
    Had a blast last night on the UMM server, GG's to anyone who played around the same time, I don't think I quite did the six hour stint I was going for, but I reckon it wasn't far off :)

Look's to be quite a hit, lots of people playing on the servers, which is great! :) Also, gotta say I enjoyed all the maps, so thanks AA for setting this up.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,532Beta Tester
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    How does it not fit? It's a map..you have a gun..you run around shooting people as before on the same map..seems pretty simple to me.

As far as scopes changing sight lines and angles..you adjust you conquer.

There's an issue with scale, speed, roles and weapons params that make a map work, or not. AA2 maps were designed with the old game mechanics in mind. Even though I loved Weapons Cache in AA2, I could see that beautiful remake that was done just didn't really work....it's too bad really, but adjustments would have to be made.

I think it's doable if people are willing for the remake to not be a perfect copy of the original.

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,177Player
    Mechanics and lack of AA2/AA3 like features can change the way certain maps play out, and definitely affect the feel of the map if you were a die hard AA2/AA3 player.

But they are still new maps.. you have to adjust playstyles and strategies to suit that of the map with AAPG mechanics, disregarding completely what AA2/AA3 did and 'how you did it' back then.

If you play the game expecting it to magically change into AA2 or AA3, just because of the map, then your doing it wrong and destined to think they are worthless.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,532Beta Tester
    I think the question is whether it "works" since the variables that the idea was based on have changed. You're right though, both Doba and Uni....they can be played on their own merit.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,116Beta Tester
    It took me almost as long to make Rusneyev as it did making CSAR , but let me tell....it was nice seeing them played over and over the last few days, especially Rusneye. All I heard the time I was there was, how they are tired of the cod/csgo type of maps 30 sec rounds maps. It was nice to finally play some UMM's that brought teamwork back together, and less of the Rambo style game play that lasts few seconds.

Now don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting what I heard. But I do agree with it 100 %
  • =R*C=-snom-=R*C=-snom- Posts: 88Player
    Loving playing on full UMM servers!
    All I heard the time I was there was, how they are tired of the cod/csgo type of maps 30 sec rounds maps. It was nice to finally play some UMM's that brought teamwork back together, and less of the Rambo style game play that lasts few seconds.

Now don't shoot the messenger, I'm just reporting what I heard. But I do agree with it 100 %
    Agree 100%

It's so awesome seeing around 5 or so server full playing UMM's. Makes me want to map again. B) :D
  • SSKtidididiSSKtidididi Posts: 171Player
    edited May 2015
    Oh, believe me, I'm dead serious. btw. I'm glad that there is an official server running UMM, I really am!

I didn't say that all of the stock maps play well. I like some of them; for example - Intercept, InnerHosp (^^), Shadowstep, Springstreet. Those are decent in terms of how they play.

Fitting the gameplay is not about the look of a map, it's about... the gameplay itself. How does.. SFWaterTreatment fit AAPG? It's good for AA2 vets but this is not the AA Nostalgia Edition, it's AAPG. Maybe with some time we could get separate servers for classic maps and those that were created from a scratch having in mind this particular game. Rusneyev is a good example of a map that should get more attention.

Excuse me, Sir. What are the differences in gameplay? In both, AA2 and AA:PG the main goal is to run and to shoot.

Can you run (in both versions)? Yes.
    Can you shoot? Yes.
    Can you crouch? Yes.
    Can you crawl? Yes.
    Can you jump? Yes.
    Can you throw granades? Yes.

Additionally, in AA:PG you can:
    - Revive friends
    - Secure enemies
    - Use supported position
    - Slide

Please, do not tell me that AA2 maps does not fit in AA:PG. It is no difference between both games.

Anyway I do not feel any nostalgia. AA:PG is better than AA2 for me. All of AA2 maps can fit well in AA:PG. The map is only scenario, only enviroment. Why, for example, River Basin or Headquaters Raid will not fit in AA:PG? Because people does not know the map?

Gameplay is different because you can do few things more than in AA2. Do ou think AA2 maps will not fit, because you can revive, secure, slide on AA2 maps in AA:PG? :lol:
    I too spent some time playing these umm and think it's a good chance compared to what I usually play. Nothing wrong with going in and having some careless fun.

• Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    Every single one of them gives me errors upon building. ahaha still a lot of them look really good! Can't wait to play on 'em! B)

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
    I don't want to start a request fight as to who thinks what map belongs in the ration. ..but since you have a copy of Impact..at least make it the version Altan remade, not the one that's there now

=IK=Doba= wrote: »
    I don't want to start a request fight as to who thinks what map belongs in the ration. ..but since you have a copy of Impact..at least make it the version Altan remade, not the one that's there now

Unfortunately, Altan's version no longer exists. He removed it to make it part of the AA3 mod he was working on. So it's a complete package now with all the AA3 maps.
    Oh ..sux

Aleksandra wrote: »
    Every single one of them gives me errors upon building. ahaha still a lot of them look really good! Can't wait to play on 'em! B)

What type of problems are you having? What are your system specs? How are you going about getting them to work?
  • [1stCav]QuePasa^[1stCav]QuePasa^ Posts: 38Player
    edited May 2015
    Oh, believe me, I'm dead serious. btw. I'm glad that there is an official server running UMM, I really am!

I didn't say that all of the stock maps play well. I like some of them; for example - Intercept, InnerHosp (^^), Shadowstep, Springstreet. Those are decent in terms of how they play.

Fitting the gameplay is not about the look of a map, it's about... the gameplay itself. How does.. SFWaterTreatment fit AAPG? It's good for AA2 vets but this is not the AA Nostalgia Edition, it's AAPG. Maybe with some time we could get separate servers for classic maps and those that were created from a scratch having in mind this particular game. Rusneyev is a good example of a map that should get more attention.

Excuse me, Sir. What are the differences in gameplay? In both, AA2 and AA:PG the main goal is to run and to shoot.

Can you run (in both versions)? Yes.
    Can you shoot? Yes.
    Can you crouch? Yes.
    Can you crawl? Yes.
    Can you jump? Yes.
    Can you throw granades? Yes.

Additionally, in AA:PG you can:
    - Revive friends
    - Secure enemies
    - Use supported position
    - Slide

Please, do not tell me that AA2 maps does not fit in AA:PG. It is no difference between both games.

Anyway I do not feel any nostalgia. AA:PG is better than AA2 for me. All of AA2 maps can fit well in AA:PG. The map is only scenario, only enviroment. Why, for example, River Basin or Headquaters Raid will not fit in AA:PG? Because people does not know the map?

Gameplay is different because you can do few things more than in AA2. Do ou think AA2 maps will not fit, because you can revive, secure, slide on AA2 maps in AA:PG? :lol:

Can't you do those things in other fps? Can you do it in ARMA, CS:GO, BF, and... any-modern-fps? If there's no difference between AA2 and AAPG then I guess that you'd say that CS:GO and AAPG are the same. Based on your "questionnaire" yep, there would be no difference! After all, you run and shoot in those games, don't you?

I could agree that AA2 and AAPG are similar in some areas but they're, in fact, two different games. The revive feature has a huge effect on gameplay. The attackers' team can just do whatever they want to without any consequences. Not to add grenades that are basically C4s (and you can cook them)...

All I want to say is that it's pointless to just copy paste those maps. They need some tweaking before they'll play decent. Some'd need more, and some less.
  • RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    edited May 2015
    In aapg
    Dusk? Works very well
    Urban? Works very well
    Mout? Works very well
    Pipeline? Works very well
    Impact? Works very well
    Alley? Works very well
    Border? A bit too large but works
    Ranch? Works very well
    Insurgent?works very well
    Dockside? Works very well
    Sandstorm? Works very well
    Hospital? Works bettr than new version
    We need only VIP mission and we should have a powerful set of woking maps. I cannot understand why devs made all that cartooned maps instead of remade the old maps
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 417Player
    Other than not having the 320/203 and VIP, everything is pretty good. I agree Border plays a bit large for this game, but it isn't terrible.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • SSKtidididiSSKtidididi Posts: 171Player
    edited May 2015
    About the server rules.

Could you change the server rules about voting? It is not nice to get a kick by random guy, who thinks I cheat after 3 minutes of playing. IP ban for some time, it has no sense.