4-5s Fuse Nade

Most people would agree that the nades are a little OP, especially since it is impossible to avoid when well cooked. I'm thinking if the fuse is made with a variance of 1s for a time between 4-5s might make it a little more fair and realistic. This would prevent players from cooking it too long for fear that it would explode in their hands. In the real world, the fuse is meant as a safety mechanism for the thrower in case he screws up while throwing. It is really not meant to be cooked. Lastly, if there is no cover when the nade is thrown, I'm wondering if going prone could help reduce damage from the nade. This is actually taught in the army to reduce exposure to the blast.

Comments

• Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 643Player
    Most people would agree that the nades are a little OP, especially since it is impossible to avoid when well cooked. I'm thinking if the fuse is made with a variance of 1s for a time between 4-5s might make it a little more fair and realistic.

Horrible idea. This game certainly doesn't need any more random.
  • [eSC]General.Jung[eSC]General.Jung Posts: 144Player
    edited April 2015
    I disagree nades are underpowered in terms of damage and especially radius, but I can live with the current implementation for the benefit of mass suitability.
    Greetings from Germany. General.Jung.
    eSport-Community, http://esportcommunity.com/

HARDEN HC mode, SMOKE Grenades, UMM Support and RELEASE LINUX Binaries !
  • JungleSheepJungleSheep Posts: 87Player
    Most people would agree that the nades are a little OP, especially since it is impossible to avoid when well cooked. I'm thinking if the fuse is made with a variance of 1s for a time between 4-5s might make it a little more fair and realistic.

Horrible idea. This game certainly doesn't need any more random.

It's not really random, you can cook it to 4s without it exploding.

I disagree nades are underpowered in terms of damage and especially radius, but I can live with the current implementation for the benefit of mass suitability.

Grenades in this game could do with a noticeable reduction in radius. That and/or adding in audible pin pull, spoon, throw noises are necessary to help balance them.
    Yea I also miss a bit more of throwing noises.

• JungleSheepJungleSheep Posts: 87Player

Grenades in this game could do with a noticeable reduction in radius. That and/or adding in audible pin pull, spoon, throw noises are necessary to help balance them.

I actually like the blast radius and damage as it makes the grenades useful. Only thing I don't like is that there is no time to avoid it. It's almost a free kill if thrown and cooked properly.

edited April 2015
    Its a free kill if people don't take care of possible incoming nades, as we all do sometimes. But that is what Army is about for me, think and never stop it, knowing that you can never predict everything.
    -
    That is the true challenge and competition for me.

I actually like the blast radius and damage as it makes the grenades useful. Only thing I don't like is that there is no time to avoid it. It's almost a free kill if thrown and cooked properly.

If there were audible associated sounds, you could have an idea it's coming.

It doesn't have to be thrown or cooked well because the radius and damage are so excessive.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Grenades are extremely powerful, especially when properly cooked.

I don't think the solution is to add random to the grenades. If nothing else, it totally kills the skill ceiling on throws that are meant to air-burst in a specific location.

If you want to guarantee players some time to react to the thrown grenade (which is essentially what this change is, just with a huge random component), the better approach is what BadaBing's been suggesting for so long -- lower the fuse timer by around a second and remove cooking.
  • omerta`jeeomerta`jee Posts: 54Player
    *cough* AA2 had random fuse lengths *cough*
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited April 2015
    Images from current public build.

Red: insta-kill
    Orange: high damage range
    Yellow: low damage range
    Outside yellow: no damage

Grenades will touch:
    From top red to top blue
    1dVvicR.jpg

A pretty large section of Downtown
    gwWXheQ.jpg
    edited April 2015
    Perhaps a compromise: 4 seconds, removed auto-throwing keys and a sever-side option to allow or disallow the cooking.

• omerta`jeeomerta`jee Posts: 54Player
    Perhaps a compromise: 4 seconds,
    Eh, I'd rather have more time than less time to react to the OP nades.
    removed auto-throwing keys
    That doesn't change anything. People can throw them just as fast without the auto throw. It just restricts peoples options to what theyre use to.
    and a sever-side option to allow or disallow the cooking.
    I'm interested in this setting for other reasons. I'd hate to see pubs start using it and then have the community further split. You'd have to play and throw differently based on what server you're in. And you may not even know easily until you try cooking. I'm more interested in it for competition. Many comp games have grenades where you can't cook. I'd be interested in trying it in private scrims.

edited April 2015
    Yea, I also seeing a problem with a too much seperated community, if there are too much different server settings and maybe that is the reason because the developers currently fearing that way. But, I think there is also a huge chance to get more players into AA in general. Not only because of some indie-shooters, but also because there are so many AA2 players that just hoping into a graphical remake of AA2.
    -
    The chance of AA:PG to get more gamers into the game is much higher than in AA3 and there is a possiblity to unite them in one game, even if there splitted into different servers. There might be at least some meetings between these groups. Sure even not every AA2 player looking for the same type of play-style. AA2 is getting more and more outdated from year to year, they people are still looking for a decent replacement.
    -
    I think the variation in server settings and maps can also fosters the longevity of game, as long as the server settings are clearly visible in the server browser this shouldn't be a problem. With server variables there so much possiblities, even the movement speed of crouched movement or the smoke grenade duration could be adapted in that way.

Perhaps a compromise: 4 seconds, removed auto-throwing keys and a sever-side option to allow or disallow the cooking.
    It's already a four second fuse.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    edited April 2015
    Images from current public build.

Red: insta-kill
    Orange: high damage range
    Yellow: low damage range
    Outside yellow: no damage

Grenades will touch:
    From top red to top blue
    1dVvicR.jpg

A pretty large section of Downtown
    gwWXheQ.jpg

^^ Is thatconfirmed? Because it looks like damage from a mortar round? :o

figb-5.gif

googley avatar aapg

edited April 2015
    It's already a four second fuse.
    And it should stay fixed, instead of a variable timer.

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited April 2015
    That yellow is insane it should be according your image Red instakill , Orange Take some damage. Outside that Orange No damage that is how it should be.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,155Player
    That yellow is insane it should be according your image Red instakill , Orange Take some damage. Outside that Orange No damage that is how it should be.

I'd go even further. Reduce the red area by 50%. If you are going to have the ability to cook a grenade, then you better throw it pretty dead on if you want to get a kill. Remaining part of current red area = orange. Current orange = yellow. Outside of that no damage.