Opt-in: My thoughts

Cheatin_DeathCheatin_Death Posts: 11Player
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
I have played a bit on the opt-in, seems everyone either loves it or hates it. I'm not crazy about it myself. The color schemes, the new launcher, and the the cartoon sounds are in my opinion poorly done. I understand there are features unfinished, but how am I supposed to find what server a friend is in? I couldn't figure it out. The yellow boxes and text are horrible. EDIT:(seems to be legible white text now)

The HUD is put together pretty poorly, not much useful information, what is there is so small you can't hardly read it. The new radar seems okay, although I don't believe there was a need for it.

I have heard mixed opinions on sound from people, most agree it is too loud, and directions seem to be a little mixed up occasionally. In my opinion a lot of the sounds are cartoony. like walking across metal grating sounds the same as the old "tins" sound from AA2.

Not happy to see there are no smoke grenades. I think they are more useful than FOG.
Still no VIP

Seems they managed to make an already run and gun game faster. I think the maps are already too small, redline was a good size for 6v6 so why was it cut down smaller?

There should be functioning doors on the majority of buildings and rooms.

I found a bug on siege, but when I tried to report it, the report bug button did nothing:

When jumping through the front second floor window, if you immediately go prone, you float prone, but the enemy sees you as standing. The only way out is either to die or to sprint which will force you to stand. Has happened to me four times.

Having so many different game play versions for the same map is getting annoying.

Ultimately I think the game is taking course to become one of a hundred run and gun FPS that are all the same.

Suggestions:

Slow down game play. Doors on buildings, smoke, larger maps with more reason to slow down and clear areas/rooms one at a time.

VIP gameplay
CO-OP maps
Bring back the bi-pod on M24 and the SAW
More outdoor/ REAL maps, less "training maps"
Deeper tone to the environment sounds

I will post more as I think of them
My thoughts not yours.

Comments

• Cheatin_DeathCheatin_Death Posts: 11Player
    edited April 2015
    Not try to complain just for fun, although that's probably how it comes off.
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    After playing more, I believe the sound is just something everyone needs to get used too. Just because I can't hear you coming from a mile away (AA2) doesn't make the sound 'Garbage' just means its more realistic. In all honesty after I played the opt-in playing the normal beta is hard. I find myself craving the opt-in and can't wait for the game to be released. Different sound 'engine' will take some time to get used to but it'll be fine.

The only real sound complaints I have are the sniper and footsteps on different materials that sound like I'm wearing loafers lol. Any footsteps (my opinion) should sound like boots. Boots on metal, boots on dirt, boots in water, boots on wood....ect... and as I said some of the sounds are; boots on the ground, high-heels on tin, loafers on wood. When I first loaded in to the opt-in we all had a laugh cause we were in spawn and it sounded like 6 office workers walking across a marble lobby.

As I said the M24 sounded like a toy from the dollar store. The sniper sounds the best when you play coldfront, at the beginning the guys on defense like to get a quick snipe on barn alley enthusiasts and when he pulls the trigger the sound echoes and sounds seriously amazing. I think the sniper should really rock any map (sound wise) and everyone should know when they've let a round go. (my opinion).

In addition I'd love to see some environment damage if possible. Breach would be awesome if I could blow holes through the crappy walls until I find the last camper and RKO him down the stairs

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,572Player
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
    edited April 2015
    The link took me to my jacket where the button still does nothing.

EDIT: Works now.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,606Beta Tester
    NO!!! Don't get used to the sound! :o

Report what exactly you want it changed to! This Opt-in is to tweak the new sound engine and show off some Work In Progress stuff, nothing more. This is not the final. Not even close.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    Its not a matter of getting used to sound. Sound should come natural. It should make sense. It should encourage good gameplay. Right now is Rando, leaves you guessing.
    Sound travels in VERY VERY strange paths right now... again how this wasn't picked up in closed beta is baffling.
    Sound is also tied to your viewing perspective which is terrible.
    HDR is terrible and needs to be removed completely.
    Surface sounds need to be better, were not wearing slipper we're wearing boots. Act like it. Wood needs to sound like wood. Metal needs to sound like metal. USE AA2 sounds and win.
    The sound is in fact garbage right now. There is so much junk that needs to be cleaned up that SHOULD have been picked up on before the public even heared it for the first time.

You'd think there would be some test plan to make sure sound at least travels properly.
    2016 Flank Gaming Network Season 1 Champion
    2016 FraggedNation Season 4 Champion
    2015 FraggedNation Season 2 Main Champion
    2015 ESL Test Cup Second place
    2014 FraggedNation UMM Tournament Champion
    2014 FraggedNation Old School map Tournament Champion
    2014 TWL Season 1 Second Place
    2013 TWL 7v7 Beta Tournament Champion
    2013 TWL 5v5 Beta Tournament Second Place
  • vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 270Player
    So who makes the changes in the game?
    The Devs or Closed beta testers?
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
  • =IK=SgtBadazz=IK=SgtBadazz Posts: 160Player
    I wouldn't say that the sound is junk right now. Yes it at times sounds like you are in a fish bowl and yes the localization is poor (well demonstrated in your videos), and yes that plane is too f'ing loud, but remember that the z-axis has yet to be implemented and soundy is still playing with the levels. I'm pretty sure that he is far from finished and they just wanted to show us some of the direction that they have been going in.
    Remember the normal beta has junk sound too, but the difference is they are confined by the engine. Hopefully wwise will be able to fix that and he just needs more time.

The real problem that they have on their hands right now is who to listen to because feedback is all over the place. Everyone always says just to bring back AA2, but even in AA2 there was non-stop bickering in the forums about what was "wrong" with the game. But what do I know, I had fun playing AA2, AA3, AAPG, BF3, Insurgency, and others, though they all have their problems.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 641Player
    Its not a matter of getting used to sound. Sound should come natural. It should make sense. It should encourage good gameplay. Right now is Rando, leaves you guessing.
    Sound travels in VERY VERY strange paths right now... again how this wasn't picked up in closed beta is baffling.
    Sound is also tied to your viewing perspective which is terrible.
    HDR is terrible and needs to be removed completely.
    Surface sounds need to be better, were not wearing slipper we're wearing boots. Act like it. Wood needs to sound like wood. Metal needs to sound like metal. USE AA2 sounds and win.
    The sound is in fact garbage right now. There is so much junk that needs to be cleaned up that SHOULD have been picked up on before the public even heared it for the first time.

You'd think there would be some test plan to make sure sound at least travels properly.

Everything here is true. Especially "HDR is terrible and needs to be removed completely."
  • I Agree with sound need to come naturally part, in non op in beta my vision/hearing/thoughts all combine like around 90%, together to "figure out" any situation, in the new op in, i just cant get everything to go smoothly together, 90% of the time im relying on only my vision to play, and that sucks hard.

• Bear_82Bear_82 Posts: 371Moderator
    . . . again how this wasn't picked up in closed beta is baffling.
    . . .There is so much junk that needs to be cleaned up that SHOULD have been picked up on before the public even heared it for the first time.
    . . .

I will simply say you make a very large, incorrect, assumption

. . .You'd think there would be some test plan to make sure sound at least travels properly.

there is
    The right of the people to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.
  • [eSC]General.Jung[eSC]General.Jung Posts: 144Player
    edited April 2015
    I just noticed this post and I feel the same about your statement especially on the changes or missing design to make the game more slow-paced. For me AA:PG seems to get more and more into a fast-paced game, even more then it is already. I really dont understand why they dont want to have smoke grenades on servers anymore, as you mentioned.
    Greetings from Germany. General.Jung.
    eSport-Community, http://esportcommunity.com/

HARDEN HC mode, SMOKE Grenades, UMM Support and RELEASE LINUX Binaries !
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    When was AA ever slow paced? ..you can play anyway you choose
    null
    Why would that stop a push? It provides concealment....
    edited April 2015
    @TheBaDaBing!
    That was is a techical problem, because the one who is not moving is able to abuse the implementation of the smoke. Beside the fact that the a smoke is is dangerous is no reason to remove it. With that reason we have to reduce the grenade damage in general. AA should be very dangerous. I always loved AA because it was tough to play.
    -
    @=IK=Doba=
    Sure you can always play the way you want, but a game can sanction or support a specific playstyle. In AA2 this is made by so much other mechanics, that I know we will never get back AA:PG even not in improved hardcore mode, but leaving us just with a 10 seconds fog while we had 35 sec (AA2 50 sec) just because there was some technical problems. So its not only the movement speed that is a slower in AA2, its also the hardness of grenades or like a deployed weapon in a alley that forces the people to think before they act. That makes a game more slow-paced.
    -
    I could just stay here and just suggest things that are better for my stats, but I am trying to suggest things that challenges me and seperates the game from the mass. Because that is what AA always made that popular beside all these other games with 5 seconds flash and 10 seconds smokes.

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,137Player
    edited April 2015
    AA2 was not that slow paced as people like to claim. The long round times made the game feel much slower since some people would sit around and wait all day to do something. At times, it could take all day to get through a round because of this. Even in matches teams would often wait around until the last minute to make their final push just because they could try to pick off someone here and there throughout the round and then the winding down of time made things more hectic. Otherwise, you could play at the same pace as this game. I remember being a pretty aggressive player in AA2 and I know most of the better players were the same.
    I have always had the same play style when it comes to speed.. through my 6 yrs of AA2, 3 yrs of AA3 and already 2 yrs of AAPG.. nothing has changed.. the game might have changed but I adapt and continue to look for the fight, rather than stand in the distance.
    edited April 2015
    Yes I remember those players too, but they were pretty rare. I mean there always are players that are able to play slow-paced games like rambos and they win in most cases, but in AA:PG nearly every player is able to play like a rambo. I often see my self in a situation where I dont succeeding with a slow paced playstyle and as soon as I swapped into a rusher playstyle it works. That shouldn´t be possible that easily.

the only major difference I see with AA2 and current AA versions that will definitely change the gameplay is player communication .. everyone has a mic and everyone spams it! back in AA2 there was no ingame VOIP, it was played silently which would change the way the game is played.. these days players call everything out and everyone runs to the spot..turn off VOIP and youll see the game change