Forum Design Suggestions

Comments

• HilabusterHilabuster Posts: 41Player
    What specifically can you not do with the current version of advanced editor? Most problems with text formatting will be a style problem issue that we have not addressed. The new advanced editor is the latest official vanilla editor addon from here: Vanilla Blog >:) :s B)
  • vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 271Player
    Increase posted characters in: ACP / Moderation / Flood Control
    For things like log files / dxdiag etc....
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
    I suppose you can do what you need with this editor but it only looks bland and generic. The CKeditor is more polished and offers a Vast amount of editing options. Use it, don't use it....I'm only offering possibilities of what works with current vanilla build is all. Just because the "official" editor is used by Vanilla does not mean it's superior :wink:
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 643Player
    edited April 2015
    Quote function definitely needs work. The opt-in feedback threads are pretty tough to read with all of the broken quotes.
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    yeah was just thinking that, just search for the [/quote] and read from there lol

• `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 358Player
    Quote function definitely needs work. The opt-in feedback threads are pretty tough to read with all of the broken quotes.

yep it's getting pretty messy. +1 for making this a priority.
    Oh well.
  • c5.Wafflesc5.Waffles Posts: 39Player
    Just a general idea, love it or hate it.

A sub-forum for clans, nothing extravagant, somewhere on the front of the forum there could be a Clans Forum, in that there could be more sub-forums with clan labels, and once the clan label is clicked on, there could be the discussions that were created in the clan itself. Something where clan members can discuss with themselves and possibly recruit or something along those lines. There would be some obvious other ideas to go along with that.

~ To make a clan forum, you must submit a request, once the request is approved there would be a temp period where if the forums do not meet a certain amount of members (lets say 4 members in a 5 or 10 day period?) then the clans forums get deleted and they must wait 10 or 15 days to reapply
    ~ Make 'groups' [clans] for the forum users, for the people that are part of the clan they are identified by being in that 'group'.
    ~ In each clans area, there is one discussion where anybody can post (such as recruiting or questions to the clan), all the other discussions would be either hidden or made to where you can read them but have to be a member of the clan to post.
    ~ Server/TeamSpeak information so that people know more about how to play with / talk to clans members

Again, this is just a quick draft and quick idea, something off the top of my head and in no way complete. im not even sure if the forums currently would let users be split into 'groups' and certain 'groups' belong to certain boards. But let me know what you think.
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 358Player
    So I don't know about you guys but every time I change page I get this "loading white" screen before switching to the next page and It's basically making me go blind as the forums are dark and the page is white. This didn't happen on the archived forums.
    Oh well.
    No white screen yet but this software is just killing me. No features, just basic 1990 forum...too minimal imho. If u have to install a mod for a quote system then this is Not a forum software worth using. I would hate to see the chance to use a high quality PAID solution then to settle on this junk (no offense Hilabuster)

People that encourage the use of this software obviously know nothing of php forum software.

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    will we be getting the option to edit our posts?

click the gear in upper right corner of ur posts to edit.
    It's not about being a web designer, this software is featureless. I'm not going to add anymore suggestions as I fear this Vanilla is set in stone now. Oh well, enjoy your polished turd bing.
    My point being that paid softwares or [TOS Violation] even Mybb offers TONS of features out of the box. Vanilla has to be modded or use plugins and basically hacked to the hilt to be "mediocre" at best. But other software does all this and more by Default.
    Like I said....if you have to use a plugin for the text editor or a quote system....it shouldn't be used on a large scale. You can build the whole frontend of this site and more with IPB content and the IPB core forums...very easily. But they use Wordpress for the site and vanilla for the forums??? Just doesn't make sense to me to use 2 different softwares that you can combine into 1. But what do I know....
    Don't worry, I changed it...
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 457Player
    So far, this forum is not an improvement over the previous. It's just an easy way to hide the negativity this game has previously gotten.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 457Player
    edited April 2015
    So far, this forum is not an improvement over the previous. It's just an easy way to hide the negativity this game has previously gotten.

Dont worry there's plenty of space for you to bring up AA2 on here aswell!

Good to hear! I have a personal troll. Go me?
  • 12ampage12ampage Posts: 64Player
    {FOD}V@POR wrote: »
    It's not about being a web designer, this software is featureless. I'm not going to add anymore suggestions as I fear this Vanilla is set in stone now. Oh well, enjoy your polished turd bing.
    My point being that paid softwares or [TOS Violation] even Mybb offers TONS of features out of the box. Vanilla has to be modded or use plugins and basically hacked to the hilt to be "mediocre" at best. But other software does all this and more by Default.
    Like I said....if you have to use a plugin for the text editor or a quote system....it shouldn't be used on a large scale. You can build the whole frontend of this site and more with IPB content and the IPB core forums...very easily. But they use Wordpress for the site and vanilla for the forums??? Just doesn't make sense to me to use 2 different softwares that you can combine into 1. But what do I know....

There is something to be said for having lean forum software. My understanding is vanilla is customizable, so the forums won't be polluted with 100 and 1 un-needed features that other forums might force. I'm not going to spend the time to really evaluate forum software right now, but i'm not one to advocate for the software with the most features because that kind of software is usually slow and not customizable.
This discussion has been closed.