Forum Design Suggestions

Comments

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    edited May 2015
    1. bug/oversight: at the bottom of the page there is the links to the forum's main page "home" and subforum name in this case "general".
    ...there is an exception to this: if a thread is closed/locked. then these links do not appear at the bottom (force us to scroll back to top of page to exit the thread)
    -
    2. also, would it be possible to display the "name of the thread" down there at the bottom of the page somewhere? i tend to always want to confirm the name of the thread BEFORE i hit the "post comment" button, just to confirm i am posting on topic in the right thread. right now i have to scroll all the way to the top to check and then all the way back down before submitting my post.

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,573Player
    2. also, would it be possible to display the "name of the thread" down there at the bottom of the page somewhere? i tend to always want to confirm the name of the thread BEFORE i hit the "post comment" button, just to confirm i am posting on topic in the right thread. right now i have to scroll all the way to the top to check and then all the way back down before submitting my post.

I miss that too. Until this is implemented I can see the topic name in my browser address bar.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
    edited May 2015
    can we get a revision on how notifications are listed? can you separate them into maybe 3 groups?
    -
    the problem i see here is this: if i create a thread that gets 100 replies, then i get 100 notifications. this causes me to just ignore all notification to be honest.
    -
    the problem with that is: i would like to see the notification serve the purpose of notifying me when someone quotes me or @ me, or maybe another grouping of notifications for when people like or dislike something i wrote... but right now those 2 sorts of notification will just get lost in the sea of notifications from people posting in a thread i started...

edited May 2015
    i seem to have experienced a bug. for the first time, i hit the "mark all (as) viewed" at the top of the webpage.. thereafter i was not getting the "new" icon next to threads with new posts in them. i mean i was getting some, but some new posts were clearly slipping through without the icon appearing for me. after noticing this continue i decided to relog. hope that cleared it up for me.
    -
    edit: relog didn't seem to fix it. when someone posts a new comment to a thread the "new" tag doesn't show up for me 100%. still only sometimes...
    -
    well small sample size to troubleshoot this from, so far that's what i've gathered at any rate.

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,573Player
    Why is thumbs down removed?
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    -Ner0- wrote: »
    Why is thumbs down removed?

If you have nothing good to say then you should say nothing at all. <--Probably along those thoughts. But I do like the thumbs up!
    googley avatar aapg

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,047Moderator
    No forum i have ever been on with like/dislike has kept dislike for very long.
    It is just misused and used to grief other members.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    frankof wrote: »
    No forum i have ever been on with like/dislike has kept dislike for very long.
    It is just misused and used to grief other members.

Reddit had 169,000,000 unique visitors in the past month
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    There are no strict TOS on reddit.. nothing near AA style anyways.

non-comparable.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

What do TOS rules have to do with whether a user-driven rating system is sustainable?
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 643Player
    If someone's getting a lot of posts disliked, maybe that person needs to change the way they post. That doesn't mean it's a flaw in the system.
    edited May 2015
    I'll tell you why and it has near everything to do with the TOS, It's not possible to fairly police a person being given a thumb down, wether thumb given or thumb received, nor would a moderator or anyone else for that matter know of it's intention, afterall it's not written word, it's basically a symbol of hate.. Let's imagine that people have been reporting these thumbs down for trolling.. like, for all we know they may have been. So then what can a moderator do about a thumb down that left a person feeling like crap for posting what's on his mind?..

It's just a headache for everyone.

I don't even know why anyone needs to explain it all.. it's not hard to fathom why they removed it. I thought you of all people here should know why it's been removed BC.

• .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 457Player
    edited May 2015
    I could care less...

However, on the flip side of that well intended coin your flipping, it's a lot easier to show disapproval/disagreement with a point of view by simply clicking dislike. By removing the dislike option, you now further influence a user who's not happy with the post to begin with, attempt to respond respectfully, which usually ends up in flaming a person's point of view.

Buy hey, I guess it gives the mods something to do.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
    I'll tell you why and it has near everything to do with the TOS, It's not possible to fairly police a person being given a thumb down, wether thumb given or thumb received, nor would a moderator or anyone else for that matter know of it's intention, afterall it's not written word, it's basically a symbol of hate.. Let's imagine that people have been reporting these thumbs down for trolling.. like, for all we know they may have been. So then what can a moderator do about a thumb down that left a person feeling like crap for posting what's on his mind?..

It's just a headache for everyone.

I don't even know why anyone needs to explain it all.. it's not hard to fathom why they removed it. I thought you of all people here should know why it's been removed BC.

Disagreeing with a post isn't a "symbol of hate." Disliking a post is never going to be a TOS violation, unless taken to the extreme of disliking every single post a person makes, and even then it's not a sure thing. I don't know how you think it doesn't need to be explained, since no reason that anyone's suggested so far has made any sense.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Dislikes were being used to troll and harass. Vote brigading was starting to happen.

After more thought, it seemed like they just weren't needed.

Likes remove the need for people to make the "+1" post.

Disliking doesn't add anything to the conversation. Make a thought out civil post explaining why you dislike what the person is saying.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 457Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    Disliking doesn't add anything to the conversation. Make a thought out civil post explaining why you dislike what the person is saying.

How often do those end up civil? Maybe 50%. Not a battle I cared to win. Done!
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    If they can't be civil, then they don't belong on the forums.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

edited May 2015
    It's gone.. nothing more can be said really. I just offered a likely explanation for it to have become gone is all.. might not even be right, but hey I could less either. I just thought it was obvious with how things have always been with AA.

I however can't understand the negativity toward the removal of something that gives negativity. Infact lately it's like negativity central around here, give a thumb up it feels good, give a thumb up and smile..

ninja's!

TheTots wrote: »
    Dislikes were being used to troll and harass. Vote brigading was starting to happen.

After more thought, it seemed like they just weren't needed.

Likes remove the need for people to make the "+1" post.

When people make stupid post after stupid post or are blatantly trolling(I can think of at least one easy example for both off the top of my head), a lot of people disliking their posts is going to happen.
    There's a big difference between "brigading" and a group of people simultaneously agreeing that a low-quality post is low-quality. Brigading implies some degree of organization that I doubt has really been happening.

It was much easier to dislike "troll" posts than to feed into them with a detailed reply. There are forum users that intentionally stay just on the right side of the TOS fence while clearly trying to aggravate and insult... but it was the "dislikes" that were the issue?
This discussion has been closed.