Opt-In Beta Audio and You!

Comments

• -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 376Beta Tester
    I been strangled 10 times in the first round I played lol!!! Yeah sound is a little bit of an issue.. I am loving much of what I am seeing but I can not hear anyone come up on me (and a side note on that, I know this is on sound, but it would be nice to have the ability to at least try and fight off the strangle, I mean realistically speaking if someone comes up behind me in life they may get the heal of my foot somewhere or an elbow, some form of defense is needed).
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• SoundySoundy Posts: 87Developer
    edited April 2015
    Soundy wrote: »

Optimism should have no expiration date.

But This muffling effect that is applied to all sounds when you shoot should have an expiration date... It should be today. This is brutally bad

As mentioned earlier on page 6, we are planning to lighten up the HDR a bit to alleviate that real time loudness flux. We wanted, and are receiving feedback on that... as we speak.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    BCPull wrote: »
    How much are gunshots, grenades, flashbangs, and low health effects dampening or muffling sound?

After playing some more, it seems like all of those can have a fairly dramatic effect (ie, more than in the current open build) and that's probably contributing to a lot of the mixing complaints / not hearing enemy footsteps.

There is a real time WWISE audio module Pull, called HDR... High Dynamic Resolution. It is intended to somewhat reproduce human hearing protective mechanics. As you play, regardless of sound source and listener location, if there are sounds that pass a certain loudness threshold, a "muffeling"effect occurs. Below is a short description of what actually happens to the physiology of the human auditory system.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/protect.html

We are adjusting this frequently, after making overall audio mix adjustments, to attempt to emulate this. We did not have this in Unreal's native audio engine. Similar to weapon fire sounds, we have yet to find the best balance between reality and what is best for gameplay. Be assured we are working towards a solution.

This is not good, and this is exactly why so many people are complaining about sound. But on top of that there is some footsteps that are silent in some areas of maps, and some surfaces don't sound very good for what they should sound like.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 643Player
    All that really needed to be improved upon from the original sound engine was the addition of a Z-Axis and better fading out of sounds versus instead of them just disappearing.

Having played today, the current sound implementation is absolutely awful. A massive step in the wrong direction. Different surfaces still don't have noticeably different sounds. There still isn't a running on metal sound. The entire idea of muffling sounds is just horrible. I honestly don't have any idea how someone could play more than a map of this and think "Wow. We're heading in the right direction now." Unless your goal is to add even more random and an even lower skill ceiling.
  • FullMetalBriefsFullMetalBriefs Posts: 1Player
    I have problem with the lack of the sound device selection. I think this option is in any case useful, but the real problem is that now i ear (and speak) voip on one soundcard, and game sound on the other.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    Just joined a server, but a big thumbs up for the Mute When Lost Focus function. I can finally alt+tab out of game and still hear what's going on in the game.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • [kT]Trigga[kT]Trigga Posts: 102Player
    {FOD}V@POR wrote: »
    The new gun sound leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the final release. I cant pinpoint what exactly it is but it sounds like a toy gun i feel like.
    Toy gun sounds = what we had before this opt in....trust me you never heard the marshmellow shooting pistol?
    The pistol, yes but the other guns were spot on because the gun sounds were recorded not coded or whatever for this opt-in
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 454Player
    ... Some sounds were decided to be modified. Some were not. These were not.

The footsteps sounds most definitely need to be modified, it sounds like either soldiers are wearing slippers, or they are wearing tab dancing shoes.

Additionally, the M4 shooting does not right, at least in comparison to the pistols and M16. It sounds too muffled.

I agree with that majority of points in this thread, just trying to touch on additional issues.

Sounds can make or break a game, the community expects great things from you Soundy. I look forward to the fixes in the next opt-in.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    edited April 2015
    Feel like i'm in a TIN CAN & somebody spray painted Call of Doofy all over our Guns. Option please to be able
    not to pick the skittles rainbow painted all over my gun please, thanks. :s

Soundy, thanks for all the hard work... load up insurgency and give it a spin, now that is gunfire with
    an EDGE and KICK... truly feel under-fire in that game just on sound... amazing stuff, they nailed it. Psst
    hit record..... grab it ;) use it.... I won't tell. :*

The AR iron sights are great FYI!!! and i'm liking the kick on the Guns.

Immersion.... Remember, Immersion is the KEY... I want to Feel ARMY, Know ARMY, praise ARMY when
    I'm done playing.

DEVz please stop playing Call of Duty at home and bringing that mindset to our beloved game,
    Thanks ;) Overall 70% Awesome. B)

On a side note: Me and Frankof have the same sound set-up, speakers , card & headphones? what are the odds.... Kinda creepy. :#

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________

• Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    I find no matter where a nade goes off in the map it kills my sound, can't even hear myself walking after one goes off.

• MrKrabbsMrKrabbs Posts: 4Player
    Not liking the sound too much in the opt in.

Too much reverb.
    Too much bass.
    Cannot tell where gunfire is coming from at all. No positional sound at all.
    Footsteps are very low now. Probably more realistic than the open beta, but not so good for gameplay.
  • There's some problems in the distance volume of the sounds. To put it clear, I just got out of a game in Overload, where people was complaining about not being able to know where do nades land and go off. Hearing them land far but actually being below their feet, or going off really loud being at the other corner of the map. I also noticed that weapons sounds (I'm loving them although the US shotgun sounds like it was shooting a load of .50 BMG) sound nicely loud in front of you but at 80 meters firefights sound like airsoft BBs hitting paper, let alone further away. I had to ask teammates to tell me if they got into combat (noticed this mostly on Overload, thinking it could be a reduced reverb issue on open field, maybe a reduced general volume made to not make people deaf on indoor shooting, but affecting outdoor shooting heavily). Far gunfire is almost silent, and I also happened to find teammates getting sniped near me without hearing any rifle noise at all. As a GameDev I know what problems could you be running into with all this new sound topic, so I won't be the typical disrespectful dude that puts ridiculous pressure on you guys without knowing all the work and good intentions you put into this, but I can tell you that complaints about this Opt-In beta are 80% "*insert bad word here* sound piece of *another bad word in here*", and "Huh, Rest In Peace AA"
    As I said, I won't be mad about those sound problems, and I love new weapon sounds. Actually my problem goes with all the awful weird new soldier camos and helmets. Can I ask you, are those DARPA prototypes of some type? Because I find those helmets and camos really weird and some ugly... I know this doesn't go on a sound only thread, but could you consider the possibility to let players decide/personalize what gear does their soldier use, maybe in that "My Soldier" section? Because I really want to stick to Ops Core/FAST/Crye Airframe helmet, and I would be happy with that Multicam FR shirt you guys had months ago that was Multicam/Sand and not Multicam/Gray (the one those three guys have in the upper right corner of the game launcher)
    Thanks for your work and effort, guys.
    P.D. Are you guys adding more maps on later Opt-Ins? A lot of people went back to normal beta after getting bored of the same three FLO maps. We missed Hospital a lot.
  • Hey.I.Have.A.GunHey.I.Have.A.Gun Posts: 643Player
    There's some problems in the distance volume of the sounds. To put it clear, I just got out of a game in Overload, where people was complaining about not being able to know where do nades land and go off. Hearing them land far but actually being below their feet, or going off really loud being at the other corner of the map. I also noticed that weapons sounds (I'm loving them although the US shotgun sounds like it was shooting a load of .50 BMG) sound nicely loud in front of you but at 80 meters firefights sound like airsoft BBs hitting paper, let alone further away. I had to ask teammates to tell me if they got into combat (noticed this mostly on Overload, thinking it could be a reduced reverb issue on open field, maybe a reduced general volume made to not make people deaf on indoor shooting, but affecting outdoor shooting heavily). Far gunfire is almost silent, and I also happened to find teammates getting sniped near me without hearing any rifle noise at all. As a GameDev I know what problems could you be running into with all this new sound topic, so I won't be the typical disrespectful dude that puts ridiculous pressure on you guys without knowing all the work and good intentions you put into this, but I can tell you that complaints about this Opt-In beta are 80% "*insert bad word here* sound piece of *another bad word in here*", and "Huh, Rest In Peace AA"
    As I said, I won't be mad about those sound problems, and I love new weapon sounds. Actually my problem goes with all the awful weird new soldier camos and helmets. Can I ask you, are those DARPA prototypes of some type? Because I find those helmets and camos really weird and some ugly... I know this doesn't go on a sound only thread, but could you consider the possibility to let players decide/personalize what gear does their soldier use, maybe in that "My Soldier" section? Because I really want to stick to Ops Core/FAST/Crye Airframe helmet, and I would be happy with that Multicam FR shirt you guys had months ago that was Multicam/Sand and not Multicam/Gray (the one those three guys have in the upper right corner of the game launcher)
    Thanks for your work and effort, guys.
    P.D. Are you guys adding more maps on later Opt-Ins? A lot of people went back to normal beta after getting bored of the same three FLO maps. We missed Hospital a lot.

I'm guessing they'll put some of the other maps that have changed objectives into the next opt-in. It makes sense that they limited the number of maps so they can hopefully get good feedback on the maps they included.
  • Kilroy_0Kilroy_0 Posts: 43Player
    I also noticed that when you switch the fire selector, the sound appears in only one headphone (usually the right one, but sometimes in the left one) - not sure, if a bug or intended
  • ok so how do i start: so i play overload
    First 15min playing= coudent tell where people were(location) when they were shooting at me and could not hear people come around corners, and ohh yeah that plane, it killed my eardrums.
    30min: got used to the new map, could tell where the enemy was shooting me from but still could not hear people really close to me at times.

1hour+ : Flash/Nades around me kill my sound, a lot more than the "non op in" version,.............. it seems i have adapted to the people shooting at me though, i can now tell where they are! do not know if it was a sound issue or map issue atm.

when i hear a gunfight, it sounds either 2 far, or 2 close to my location, its really hard to pinpoint it. also ive had several times when an enemy ran right next to me and i didnt hear him, also, sound cuts out in firefights, was shooting a guy behind a car, not 10 feet away, and coudent hear which corner of the car he was going 2 , idk if its just me, but the sound really does cut out at times.

overall not bad,

P.S. FOR THE SAKE OF ALL OUR EARDRUMS, MAKE THAT DAM PLANE, not so LOUDDDDDD!! or put an option to u know like lower it or something XD

• derob.Stephanderob.Stephan Posts: 62Player
    edited April 2015
    Real M4 firing sound
  • {M.9}-Arko{M.9}-Arko Posts: 207Player
    M4 sounds bad in the game
  • KnuckleDusterKnuckleDuster Posts: 26Player
    edited April 2015
    I don't mind the sounds of the weapons, that doesn't bother me. The problem I have with it is the artificial muffling of everything. It's like I'm constantly straining to hear things that are by far close enough to hear alot louder. i.e.. gunshots 20 ft away. Footsteps 0-10 ft away. Started getting a migraine after a bit.

Had to turn volume up very high and then a jet rolls by and now I'm 100% deaf lol.

Also, as other have said, it seems to have lost direction. In real life when I hear a gunshot, I can tell which direction it came from. Seems to have been lost here to a large degree.

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited April 2015
    I kinda hope that I aint the only person to like the new gun sounds :(

Even after a more extensive playtime, I can't explain it properly but man, I'm gonna try.. firstly I would like to say I feel far more immersed in the game with all these new sounds, the echoes, bullets flying around sounding like they are ricocheting off objects around you.. it's really great. The various weapons all have a distinct difference in sound, my favourites sounding so far are the SAW, shotgun and M16.

Now.. It's not without it's issues though.. certain things like teammates bandaging themselves and reviving can sometimes be heard from miles away. Enemy/Team shouts from seemingly nowhere just play through my ear and I have no idea where the person/player is that's making the sounds lol. Perhaps I'm not taking into account openings and gaps in the actual playspace where audio could poke through, perhaps this new sound engine is actually meant to produce these sounds in certain circumstances.. it's that we just don't understand it because of what we were used to before. but it's because of this that sometimes sounds feel 'random'.. it's like you feel you shouldn't be able to hear a certain thing happen but you can, and vice-versa, it's really peculiar and feels quite strange at times. I'm thinking maybe more time getting used to the new audio may help in these respects?

Here's something else very weird.. I found that using a pair of phone headphones (not iphone lol but I assume they would also work) produced a far louder footstep sound, to the point where I will probably now use these earphones to play the game over my headset or speakers. I have tinkered a little with windows sound settings and my HD audio CP to properly configure my surround speakers but honestly a £5 pair of earphones have easily trumped my aging £240 (when new) Z906 5.1 surround system in terms of hearing things clearly and at acceptable volumes. When I use my speakers I have to be careful to not wake up my neighbours across the street when trying to get some footstep sounds.

Now I'm in a bit of a pickle.. the only issue is it's even harder to pinpoint peoples position when using earphones and their L and R channel, to the point I think my gameplay enjoyment may suffer. Sound is a big deal and right now, in my opinion it needs work, unfortunately I know nothing of engines and intended behaviours of such things.. but you guys do and since were only testing I'm not gonna give you a hard time over something unfinished, I think you have made a great decision using this WWISE and I'm sure with changes proposed in this thread will be awesome!
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• SSKtidididiSSKtidididi Posts: 171Player
    Sound is good. Of course, maybe it is not perfect but it is much better.

Remember that your previous sound settings will not work exactly the same with new engine. Well, most of you don't have any settings, you don't even need it on pub.

Anyway I feel comfortable. I can really hear enemies well, on short and long distance.
This discussion has been closed.