Opt-In Beta Audio and You!

Comments

• vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 271Player
    The new gun sound leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the final release. I cant pinpoint what exactly it is but it sounds like a toy gun i feel like.
    Toy gun sounds = what we had before this opt in....trust me you never heard the marshmellow shooting pistol?
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
  • vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 271Player

Sound is great, but needs some tweaking. (ambient at times are too loud, footsteps sound like slippers)
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    - the guns sound more like aa3 right now, and that is a downgrade from aapg open version. the echo and reverb makes me want to wear ear protection to prevent hearing loss. my gun is really loud for me as is anyone firing right next to me.
    - and guns firing across the map are really quiet.
    - footsteps are quiet.
    - bomb arming narrator and beeping is quiet.
    - guy talking at start of round telling you OBJ is way too loud (can't communicate with team at start of round).
    - jet in new map too obnoxious (loud and never ending).

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    some wood floors make it sound like we have rubber/duck feet.

• SxerksSxerks Posts: 17Player
    Just got the opt-in install and played a couple maps.
    -
    The weapons volume is to high compared to everything else. It has to be set too high to even hear your own tactical footsteps and then you get hearing damage from the weapons fire.
    -
    I cannot hear any VOIP, even though I can see players are saying things, also anything I enter in text chat doesn't appear.
  • derob.Stephanderob.Stephan Posts: 62Player
    edited April 2015
    - Too much echos everywhere
    - Too much damping after a nade(far away), flash, gunfire
    - Too much bass
    - Weapon swap is too loud, especially when swapping to m4
    - Don't know where the shots are coming from
    - Don't know where the enemy is coming from
    - Overall the audio seems unbalanced(also because of the damping)
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    Soundy;

I know you guys did a lot of work to capture the gun sounds for the prior Open Beta versions. Are the sounds in this Opt-in still those same sounds, only processed through WWise, or are these new sounds?
    -
    The prior beta sounds were pretty good, and only needed some envelope mods and the occlusion and directional improvements to be truly stellar, IMO. Can the new engine emulate the old one and ADD features without reinventing the wheel?
    -
    Also, from experience, a short barreled M4 or shotgun has a significantly beefier sound envelope than ANY pistol, which will always have a sharper, snappier sound relative to the others. Again, prior versions had that right.
    -
    Again from experience, outdoor gun sounds are not anywhere near as loud as those near or inside a structure. Covered fire points on a range for example are REALLY loud, whereas standing in a field you can almost get away with just earplugs. Indoors, yes there's more reflection, depending on materials. Outdoors, more drop off, but more distant low freq rolling echos.
    -
    Does the engine support changes to sound "near" objects, like when you walk between two outdoor stone buildings? That would be cool! :) (or would that be dealt with via a generic Sound Volume in UE3?)
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • SoundySoundy Posts: 87Developer
    BCPull wrote: »
    How much are gunshots, grenades, flashbangs, and low health effects dampening or muffling sound?

After playing some more, it seems like all of those can have a fairly dramatic effect (ie, more than in the current open build) and that's probably contributing to a lot of the mixing complaints / not hearing enemy footsteps.

There is a real time WWISE audio module Pull, called HDR... High Dynamic Resolution. It is intended to somewhat reproduce human hearing protective mechanics. As you play, regardless of sound source and listener location, if there are sounds that pass a certain loudness threshold, a "muffeling"effect occurs. Below is a short description of what actually happens to the physiology of the human auditory system.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/protect.html

We are adjusting this frequently, after making overall audio mix adjustments, to attempt to emulate this. We did not have this in Unreal's native audio engine. Similar to weapon fire sounds, we have yet to find the best balance between reality and what is best for gameplay. Be assured we are working towards a solution.
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,457Player
    All I can say is the sound is terrible.
    On some maps it sounds like the soldiers are wearing slippers..
    But apart from the bad sound the game looks good I like it..
    gKQ6BB2.png
  • iNv|eKCommiNv|eKComm Posts: 394Player
    Reverb in some places is insane.
    You can't hear people as they round corners. It seams like corners cut off sound completely. Bad.
    Footstep audio needs to be cleaned up.
    Metal still makes no noise.
    As a matter in fact a ton of the surfaces just produce inaccurate footstep sounds.
    Footsteps need more definition in general.

SOOOO MUCH INCONSISTENCY.

Honestly hoped for better in terms of sound at this point but there's still time!
    2016 Flank Gaming Network Season 1 Champion
    2016 FraggedNation Season 4 Champion
    2015 FraggedNation Season 2 Main Champion
    2015 ESL Test Cup Second place
    2014 FraggedNation UMM Tournament Champion
    2014 FraggedNation Old School map Tournament Champion
    2014 TWL Season 1 Second Place
    2013 TWL 7v7 Beta Tournament Champion
    2013 TWL 5v5 Beta Tournament Second Place
    - Ambience: THAT PLANE ON THE NEW MAP ALMOST KILLED ME

I know right!?! :D
  • ={101st}=THROBACK1={101st}=THROBACK1 Posts: 27Player
    Soundy wrote: »
    -mini Map is awesome the rest of the hud is not that good the previous was better.
    -sound is really bad, and the previous was awesome keep it xD
    -AK is Overpowered
    -the scoring is better
    -the sensitivity settings are worst and you should include a separate sensitivity for when you are looking through the scope(red dots included)
    I think we can handle all the changes but not the sound, you have to return the sound to the previous one

Thank you for the feedback Noorie.

Are there certain elements of... how the sound was before (which I will need clarification on... do you mean Beta before Opt-in?) that you like the most?

The sound in pev beta was not good at all. this betas sound it much better it needs some work but devs plz remember though not everyone has a great sound card or headphone A lot of player do and if the dev want ppl to really have the exp of an army soldier you guy might want to consider making it have as much surround sound as possible to make it more life like to more surround sound the better
    edited April 2015
    -SD-DELTON wrote: »
    On some maps it sounds like the soldiers are wearing slippers..

i appreciate your feedback DELTON.

To shoot you straight, that's what it sounds like when you really record someone walking and running in ACU's + 50 pounds kit in size 13 combat boots on all those different material types. Those Vibram soles work really well on the latest generation of boots. Its all about making the soldier more comfortable when hauling kit long distances. I know because I recorded it. I was awful tired afterwards... Some sounds were decided to be modified. Some were not. These were not.

There are some ground material types that don't sound a whole lot different, because well... they don't. Like set stone/brick/concrete, hard pack and loose pack dirt, mud and shallow water, etc.
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Soundy;

I know you guys did a lot of work to capture the gun sounds for the prior Open Beta versions. Are the sounds in this Opt-in still those same sounds, only processed through WWise, or are these new sounds?
    -
    The prior beta sounds were pretty good, and only needed some envelope mods and the occlusion and directional improvements to be truly stellar, IMO. Can the new engine emulate the old one and ADD features without reinventing the wheel?
    -
    Also, from experience, a short barreled M4 or shotgun has a significantly beefier sound envelope than ANY pistol, which will always have a sharper, snappier sound relative to the others. Again, prior versions had that right.
    -
    Again from experience, outdoor gun sounds are not anywhere near as loud as those near or inside a structure. Covered fire points on a range for example are REALLY loud, whereas standing in a field you can almost get away with just earplugs. Indoors, yes there's more reflection, depending on materials. Outdoors, more drop off, but more distant low freq rolling echos.
    -
    Does the engine support changes to sound "near" objects, like when you walk between two outdoor stone buildings? That would be cool! :) (or would that be dealt with via a generic Sound Volume in UE3?)

Thank you for your feedback Keebler. Please refer to my response to Dota on page 2 of this thread.
    edited April 2015

Honestly hoped for better in terms of sound at this point but there's still time!

I appreciate your feedback, and like your optimism sir. I hope all of our community shares that optimism. Us Devs have been, and are working hard to offer you a great game.

• .dcG-Vortex^.dcG-Vortex^ Posts: 188Player
    Thanks for your feedback r3vo. Let me break this discussion down a little.

- Footsteps: Footstep mix is constantly being adjusted. It is important that footstep sounds are present and noticeable, but not at all times. For example, tactical mode turns down the footstep sounds considerably and was intended to make approaching an NME or navigating a scenario much more stealthy. Another example would be, if there is a lot of loud action happening like gunfire and explosions, you will most likely not hear footsteps. This is why it is vital to always move as a team, or at least in pairs, when at all possible. Someone watching your six will lessen the chance of you getting secured or caught off guard.

- Gunfire at distance and revived/healing is also still in flux.

- Echo, or environmental effects, and still in flux. I would like to note that firing a weapon indoors will have a lot of extra echo. Changing visual and auditory conditions are expected during training exercises. How a soldier handles those changing conditions in varying scenarios while still completing the mission is what is key to success.
    Do footsteps have a Z axis, or will we still not be able to tell what floor an enemy is on?
    Also are you saying gunshots will be loud and block out footsteps, or footsteps are being purposely turned down if gunshots are being fired? Curious as to how that's being handled.
    TheTots wrote:
    I think this thread has run it's course......
    edited April 2015
    I appreciate your feedback, and like your optimism sir. I hope all of our community shares that optimism. Us Devs have been, and are working hard to offer you a great game.

I've also been saying that for 2 years now so....

I've also been saying that for 2 years now so....

Optimism should have no expiration date.

Do footsteps have a Z axis, or will we still not be able to tell what floor an enemy is on?

Ah HA! Someone asked the magic question! Stay Tuned! ;)

Optimism should have no expiration date.

But This muffling effect that is applied to all sounds when you shoot should have an expiration date... It should be today. This is brutally bad
This discussion has been closed.