Opt-In Beta Audio and You!

Comments

• [kT]Trigga[kT]Trigga Posts: 102Player
    The pistols seem lounder than the M4 and the M16 themselves. Also like i said before its just as the guns sound a little bit cheesy. Hard to explain sorry I cant be anymore help on describing
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Yeah the pistol canon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • -mini Map is awesome the rest of the hud is not that good the previous was better.
    -sound is really bad, and the previous was awesome keep it xD
    -AK is Overpowered
    -the scoring is better
    -the sensitivity settings are worst and you should include a separate sensitivity for when you are looking through the scope(red dots included)
    I think we can handle all the changes but not the sound, you have to return the sound to the previous one
  • SoundySoundy Posts: 87Developer
    edited April 2015
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    What I don't get about the sounds of the guns is how can they change so much when I thought they were originally matched to the real thing ..

Doba you bring up a very interesting point. There are two schools of thought here. Guns, in and of themselves, are somewhat undistinguishable to the untrained ear. A lot of people just hear what sounds like varying types of popcorn popping. Others can pick out the tone, the pitch, the length of sound, mechanical sounds from bolt cycling, the difference in cavitation sound of bullet travel, etc.

We have to find a happy medium for gameplay. People who are not shooters in real life, but like to play shooters, must be able to hear a difference. Shooters in real life, have to have a taste of what is real, but not be discouraged by a bit of sound shaping to make things stand out.

... and that's just it. We are trying to walk a line, a very difficult line. We are gathering feedback, and working on finalizing the gun sounds, but we are asking for a little leniency in this regard from our community... all of our community.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    the surround sound is not implemented.

- left and right speaker only.
    - can't tell front from rear.
    - can't tell close from far.

nasty reverb in many indoor areas (not all) for weapons and footsteps

edited April 2015

Thank you for the feedback shhfiftyfive.

When I played the game yesterday, I was running the WWISE profiler tool (developer only,) and was getting solid levels from the master mix output meters for all five directional speaker channels, and crossover to sub was working properly. My surround speakers were working fine.

I will run the profiler again today to make sure. Are your windows sound settings correct? Do you have your rear speaker channels turned down?

Audio discernibility at distance and indoor reverb style has come up a couple times in this thread. I will shift that up my priority list.
    edited April 2015
    The pistols seem lounder than the M4 and the M16 themselves. Also like i said before its just as the guns sound a little bit cheesy. Hard to explain sorry I cant be anymore help on describing

No apologies necessary Trigga. Any and all constructive feedback is appreciated!

=IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Yeah the pistol canon

We've had a few comments that the pistols are a little heavy handed. I will shift that up my priority list.
    edited April 2015
    -mini Map is awesome the rest of the hud is not that good the previous was better.
    -AK is Overpowered
    -the scoring is better
    -the sensitivity settings are worst and you should include a separate sensitivity for when you are looking through the scope(red dots included)
    I think we can handle all the changes but not the sound, you have to return the sound to the previous one

Thank you for the feedback Noorie.

Are there certain elements of... how the sound was before (which I will need clarification on... do you mean Beta before Opt-in?) that you like the most?
    I can't opt in!!

I right click the game in steam, go to properties, then Betas... Now in the scroll down button it is highlighted blue and wont open to let me choose the option to opt in.. Is something wrong on my end? Or is only limited to certain amount of people??

Danny, please make sure you are following the steps found here:

http://news.americasarmy.com/opt-in-test-is-now-available/

and if you need any additional assistance, please e-mail support. Thanks!
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Sounds are like these forums it seems... gonna take some getting used to, it's certainly different that's for sure! :)

I only played for a short time (things to do unfortunately), apart from noticing almost immediately the really quiet footsteps, I'm enjoying the new sounds.. perhaps it's my 5.1 speaker setup? I had to really crank volume to get even my own footstep sound coming through, I assume earphones might make things better (as they did before too) but I aint tried them just yet..
    The new gun sounds WOW, I like them especially! that SAW full auto is a beast! they all kinda remind me of the way they used to sound back when we first played the beta.

After a longer play later tonight, I might have something better, maybe even bad news.. but a little more explanatory, however for now.. I'm quite happy with sound on very first impressions.

Pls don't consider going back to the 'old' way.. as some would suggest.. tweak away at this new way until people are happy(er) :)
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    Soundy wrote: »

When I played the game yesterday, I was running the WWISE profiler tool (developer only,) and was getting solid levels from the master mix output meters for all five directional speaker channels, and crossover to sub was working properly. My surround speakers were working fine.

I will run the profiler again today to make sure. Are your windows sound settings correct? Do you have your rear speaker channels turned down?

Audio discernibility at distance and indoor reverb style has come up a couple times in this thread. I will shift that up my priority list.

Can the creative cards use their CMSS 3d (or whatever it's called) that pulls directional information from a game/api and turns that into a binaural 3d audio experience work with Wwise? I understand the 5 channel test is intended to show directional audio is working, but the vast majority of gamers use headphones so getting directional audio out of 2 channels would be MY personal primary concern. Sorry if I lack the language/understanding to explain myself.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    Also with the new API it may need to be more like it was in AA2 where you choose headphones for everything and let the creative card convert that into 3d positional audio. Might just be a matter of configuring things correctly on the outside. Wish I was home to test.
    Hello sir, excellent accuracy.

LETS GO PENS
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player

i'm not using on board or windows sound settings. i am using HT Omega Claro 2, 7.1 surround sound, with dolby digital live. i am then using optical cable to astro mixamp, and then headset plugged in from there.

after hearing others were not experiencing my issue (yet many were), i went to my 7.1 sound card and just turned off the "ex xear 3d"... and then the game surround sound magically worked.

i then turned it back on and worked better than the first time. so idk. maybe first time running the game the audio is messed up until you toggle your sound card settings? no clue really.

also, one option my sound card has is to turn on "virtual 7.1 speaker shifter" so i can move the speaker locations around (closer). that may be why everything sounded wrong, but idk. i was able to use this in the previous sound engine just fine (able to get pinpoint location on distance and position) so i'm puzzled why it all sounded backwards (front is rear, rear is front, everything sounding close regardless, etc) i used this setting on all games i played and never had the issue.

• DeathRiderDeathRider Posts: 3Player
    I've been having a hard time hearing any footsteps unless 1-2 feet from me. I actually got surprised pretty bad, was watching out a window listening, no other sounds going off except on the other end of the map.. turned around and an enemy right at my face.. Never heard a sound with all my sounds maxed. Was not a pleasant surprise! :P
  • Soundy wrote: »
    -mini Map is awesome the rest of the hud is not that good the previous was better.
    -AK is Overpowered
    -the scoring is better

Are there certain elements of... how the sound was before (which I will need clarification on... do you mean Beta before Opt-in?) that you like the most?

yeah the beta that we are playing now before opt-in..
    edited April 2015
    .sauce wrote: »

Can the creative cards use their CMSS 3d (or whatever it's called) that pulls directional information from a game/api and turns that into a binaural 3d audio experience work with Wwise? I understand the 5 channel test is intended to show directional audio is working, but the vast majority of gamers use headphones so getting directional audio out of 2 channels would be MY personal primary concern. Sorry if I lack the language/understanding to explain myself.[/quote]

Excellent question sauce.

Open AL is no longer supported with Unreal engine. So even if the engine has 3D coordinate info available per sound source, that information is no longer utilized anywhere else. Unfortunately, the power of your awesome dedicated Creative Labs PC hardware has been negated by the advent of tons of CPU power, audio software mixing and hybrid development solutions for all gaming platforms. For example, when you build audio in WWISE, now you have output options for PC, xbox one, xbox 360, ps4, etc. and you don't need any additional tools.

As mentioned previously in another response, we are working with a new technology to enhance directional dimensional audio. To elaborate a little further, it acts like CMSS 3d, but works as an addition to our new software audio mixer WWISE. I'll keep you posted.

i'm not using on board or windows sound settings. i am using HT Omega Claro 2, 7.1 surround sound, with dolby digital live. i am then using optical cable to astro mixamp, and then headset plugged in from there.

after hearing others were not experiencing my issue (yet many were), i went to my 7.1 sound card and just turned off the "ex xear 3d"... and then the game surround sound magically worked.

i then turned it back on and worked better than the first time. so idk. maybe first time running the game the audio is messed up until you toggle your sound card settings? no clue really.

also, one option my sound card has is to turn on "virtual 7.1 speaker shifter" so i can move the speaker locations around (closer). that may be why everything sounded wrong, but idk. i was able to use this in the previous sound engine just fine (able to get pinpoint location on distance and position) so i'm puzzled why it all sounded backwards (front is rear, rear is front, everything sounding close regardless, etc) i used this setting on all games i played and never had the issue.

We haven't really tested anything past WWISE output to onboard sound card output, because we cannot count on all gamers having additional hardware setups... Lowest common denominator principle applies here.

Any and all information that you have on specific setups and solutions... keep us posted. Thanks!
    -AK is Overpowered
    -the scoring is better

yeah the beta that we are playing now before opt-in..

OK thanks.
    I've been having a hard time hearing any footsteps unless 1-2 feet from me. I actually got surprised pretty bad, was watching out a window listening, no other sounds going off except on the other end of the map.. turned around and an enemy right at my face.. Never heard a sound with all my sounds maxed. Was not a pleasant surprise! :P

Need a battle buddy! :)
This discussion has been closed.