Board index » America's Army - Main » R&R

Post subject: Airsoft - M4 camouflage
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 pm 

I would like to know if any veteran here can give me a tip or two on how to camouflage a M4 (forest environment), as long as it isn't stuff you cant talk about, of course (SOP, I think it was?)

Anyway, I want to build a fabric strips camouflage. I've been looking around and all I could find was painted camouflage.

Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Airsoft - M4 camouflage
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:14 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

when you say fabric strip, do you mean like a Gillie style?

There is a reason why all you find is painted. Hanging fabric off a weapon that has moving parts and gets hot is asking for trouble.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:38 pm 

First of all, thanks for your answer!!

I wasnt thinking in something so complex as a gillie style camouflage, but yeah, that would be the idea.
Even though the airsoft version does not have many moving parts like its real counterpart, I was thinking of adding camouflage at the barrel and foregrip only.

I guess you dont do that kind of things with real M4s then? Too bad, I have already camouflaged it a bit, but I was looking for a "pro" tip, haha.

I still have one question though: I can imagine that adding fabric on top of the receiver is a really bad idea, but does the barrel and foregrip get so hot that adding non painted camo there is just as bad??

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:05 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

yes, the barrel and the foregrip can get dang hot, and fabric would be at risk of burning/melting if you start putting out a high volume of fire.

If and when we paint weapons there are a mulitude of ways do it do it.

First start make sure you clean the exterior of the weapon very well with a degreaser.
Next use good spray paint. I have found Aervoe to be the best but krylon works if it is all you can find.
Painting a single matte color works but if you want to look "sexy" you can use several colors making sure to blend in as best you can. Paint a single color (usually a tan or light brown) first, then using a piece of camo netting layed over the weapon, spary your next color (brown). Move the net, spray another color, (Dark/forest green), and repeat as desired. If you don't have camo netting, you can use other types of netting, cut holes in a piece of cloth, etc. If you want to put a great deal of time, effort, and/or cost, you can make "decals" to paint around to get more precise patterns if that is what you want.

Use light coats of paint, short duration sprays. If you put the paint on to thick it will get shiny.

And remember the entire point of paint is to reduce the signature from the standard "target indicator black" that rifles are normally. They are going to get dinged up and paint is going to chip. Don't sweat that and try to keep it looking pristine.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 am 

Remember not to paint your sights green.

Not that you need sights on an airsoft gun.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:10 am 

No worries ma'm, I'm from Internets.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:34 am 

F**k airsoft get the real thing

Board index » America's Army - Main » R&R