"New Player Experience" changes on full release?

Comments

• [-WG]Avguste[-WG]Avguste Posts: 29Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    As far as this server goes.. I'm reading far too many "feed the noob" features.. I'm sorry I think this game has more than enough already.. its soo easy

Just put the time in like everyone else that ever started playing, i don't think we need spend too much time on this.. just give them a few 1-10 honor servers and call it a day... along with basic training.. no need to over think things, if they dont like the game you cant force it on them

In a way, I think you might be correct. Too much overthinking...

logo_3.png
  • BCPullBCPull Posts: 249Player
    I wasn't actually referring to clans/units. Apologies if there was a misunderstanding.
    I was referring to public play because the majority of new/returning players have their first interaction with the game within the public servers.

In that case, I'd say AAPG has similar pacing to CS. Matchmaking there is extremely cooperative and communicative, even with 5 random players matched together on each side. That title also runs with a number of alternate game modes, all of which take a back seat to the core "defuse" experience.
  • `[The_Blaz3R]_`[The_Blaz3R]_ Posts: 9Player
    edited May 22
    If you guys actually look at the graphs, you clearly see AAPG as an outlier. Around 40 percent of new players in AAPG do not play past 20 minutes, while for other games, like Planetside 2, only about 10 percent do not play past 20 minutes (factor of 4). I suspect this comes from 2 sources. (However, this may be a biased sample for first difference comparison.)

1. Low FPS. AAPG requires an above average PC (for Steam community) to get decent FPS. I get around 40 - 70 FPS with a 750 TI in AAPG and around 200 FPS in CSGO. The average FPS in CSGO is 80 I believe. Converting this ratio (assuming constant) means that the average CSGO player, however representative they are for Steam PC users, will get around 16 - 28 FPS. I bet a lot of those 40 percent who try the game enter the game with less than playable FPS of 25 or less. They just enter the game for a few minutes, find that they get horrendous unplayable frames, and then quit and uninstall the game.

2. Creating an account. There could be a number of players who download AAPG but never bother to play it because they have to create an account. Similarly, it could be account-related and authentication issues.

Both 1 and 2 imply a "barrier to entry" for new players. Both represent factors that can't be controlled -- at least not at this point. (May be create more indoor maps that require less rendering to increase FPS on those maps?) That said, I believe some of the features listed here can help keep new players. For instance, one of the most important issue for new players is the ability to learn the game and play it at their own level so that they can learn enough about the game to want to play it further.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 388Player, Beta Tester
    I strongly agree with #1...but creating an account? ..I don't exactly remember the process but I doubt it's difficult nor long..Every game I play makes you create an account.
    SSG-M.Breen[3rdID]
  • TheBaDaBing!TheBaDaBing! Posts: 301Player
    edited May 21
    No one has a problem with account creation.
    oK5CLZA.jpg
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 388Player, Beta Tester
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic there or not.. but not long ago I created a work account which took minutes with no issues.. I don't get what the problems are PB related maybe..like everything else
    edited May 21
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic there or not.. but not long ago I created a work account which took minutes with no issues.. I don't get what the problems are PB related maybe..like everything else

You're the biased sample. The fact that you have an account implies that you made an AAPG account and probably have the patience to make another account, and so forth. I'm inferring about the other population that do not have patience to do so. The whole population is the union of both populations.

Of course I might be wrong, but if you look at AAPG's distribution, you see that almost a quarter (1 out of every 4) of the people who download and try AAPG do not play for more than 10 minutes. The other figures are about 7 percent (1 in 13 or 14). From that comparison, AAPG is an outlier.

Either something is up or AAPG is just unlucky. However, I definitely think that the FPS is a constraint -- at least for the seasoned FPS gamers.
  • SSG-M.Breen[3rdID]SSG-M.Breen[3rdID] Posts: 186Player
    edited May 21
    Seriously? Making an account defers players? No offence but [mod edit - TOS violation]
    hl8NkXs.jpg
    edited May 21
    All/most free multi player games need an account.
    oK5CLZA.jpg
    edited May 21
    It offers one plausible explanation. That to say that it could be possible that, say 20 percent of the 25 percent who do not pass the 10 minutes mark, do not play because they have to make an account. I'm not saying this has to be the reason. I can however test some of these hypotheses if I'm given data on it and other games.

I also do believe that making an account deters some non-English natives and certain demographics in the same way that making an account on a forum may deter some people from posting on them.

Also, the statement "all free games require an account" does not contradict my statement. In other words, in a world where "all free games require an account" can still imply "some players do not make an account, and thus do not play for more than 10 minutes" is true.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 230Player, Army Veteran
    nope. anyone playing this game made a steam account, so making one for this game is not a real hurdle.
    =IK=Doba=

• BCPullBCPull Posts: 249Player
    Not Recommended
    6.8 hrs on record
    Posted: May 16
    it tells you to confirm the account, when the website wont let you on because of an unsecure certificate, giving you only 3 days.

There's a recent review that cited account issues as a problem. Take that for what you will.
    edited May 22
    Feel free to identify the factors that influence player base first then apply the necessary features to mitigate the negative factors.

For the account issue, an approximation can be given by looking at the number of exposures (people who download and click "Play" on steam) versus the number of accounts. This will be somewhat fuzzy given the fact that some users have multiple accounts.
    BCpull just wrote something that I have not thought of. I think the DEVs should look into the reasons why someone would not play AAPG given that they have experienced it (and no longer playing) from the Steam reviews.

Here are some reviews:

I love the realisticness of this game but I get horrible FPS and I should not I have a i7 proceesor and a GTX 880m plz fix the game so its compatible!!!

Like my other review's, and free games, it's slow and laggy. It's just my old laptop, I think.

no it wont le me log in.

I can't get into a single server because this "Punkbuster" person keeps kicking me within 10 seconds of the matches i'm looking forward to playing but but i simply can't.

Lack of optimization, you will experience framerate drops in certain maps.
  • SSG-M.Breen[3rdID]SSG-M.Breen[3rdID] Posts: 186Player
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but the information gathered were from players playing the game no?

That being said you'd have already made an account in order to play and become a 'statistic'
    hl8NkXs.jpg
  • coN[vortex]coN[vortex] Posts: 61Player
    edited May 22
    I remember playing AA2.
    I made an account on AA, battle tracker, draat, aaotracker, the forums, aci, and I'm sure a few more trackers and clan websites.
    Making one separate account for AA isn't that hard.

edit:
    I love the realisticness of this game but I get horrible FPS and I should not I have a i7 proceesor and a GTX 880m plz fix the game so its compatible!!!

880m is a part of Nvidia's laptop series. He may be lacking in RAM or his CPU may be used up with other programs. Not sure if this is a valid review as I have a 770m and a i7 2.4ghz and I'm capped in frames.
    4349518805.png
    Officially slower than 93% of the United States.
    edited May 22
    @Vortex: How would you explain the fact that 1/4 of new AAPG players won't play for more than 10 minutes whereas this ratio tends to be 1 in 14 for other games? Game feature doesn't seem to be feasible -- given the fact that out of the other games, the distribution looked the same, but they have a variety of game features/mechanics and so forth. (We can assume a high variance in those components but we observe similar outcomes in the distribution.)

@Breen: I'm not sure I understand you. Care to elaborate?
    Take all the negative steam reviews and make a word cloud of all the popularly used words. Word clouds are cool and stuff because they are like clouds but made of words.
    oK5CLZA.jpg
    Take all the negative steam reviews and make a word cloud of all the popularly used words. Word clouds are cool and stuff because they are like clouds but made of words.

@Bada: those are qualitative data that needs filtering, but in aggregate they can be useful. You would be surprised what statistics and machine learning can do.
  • [-WG]Avguste[-WG]Avguste Posts: 29Player
    @(The_Blaz3R) [

Personally I will explain simply by the fact that current players expect instant gratification. Personally, if I were the AA Devs, I would put on Steam a warning saying "Please note that to play the game, you need to have an account on Steam and create an account on our official website at americasarmy.com"

quote="`[The_Blaz3R]_;6286"]@Vortex: How would you explain the fact that 1/4 of new AAPG players won't play for more than 10 minutes whereas this ratio tends to be 1 in 14 for other games? Game feature doesn't seem to be feasible -- given the fact that out of the other games, the distribution looked the same, but they have a variety of game features/mechanics and so forth. (We can assume a high variance in those components but we observe similar outcomes in the distribution.)

@Breen: I'm not sure I understand you. Care to elaborate? [/quote]

logo_3.png
    edited May 22
    @(The_Blaz3R) [

Personally I will explain simply by the fact that current players expect instant gratification. Personally, if I were the AA Devs, I would put on Steam a warning saying "Please note that to play the game, you need to have an account on Steam and create an account on our official website at americasarmy.com"

quote="`[The_Blaz3R]_;6286"]@Vortex: How would you explain the fact that 1/4 of new AAPG players won't play for more than 10 minutes whereas this ratio tends to be 1 in 14 for other games? Game feature doesn't seem to be feasible -- given the fact that out of the other games, the distribution looked the same, but they have a variety of game features/mechanics and so forth. (We can assume a high variance in those components but we observe similar outcomes in the distribution.)

@Breen: I'm not sure I understand you. Care to elaborate?

Okay. Where does this "instant gratification" come from? What influences that? Is it playable FPS? Is it fast pace? Et cetera.