Skill based matchmaking

Comments

• Not enough players yet to have this kind of matchmaking

If you have a simple map plan of what you want to happen in your game. Then this sort of thing should come up and be given serious thought. Turning this down with these kind of statements simply means you don't expect the game to ever have enough players for match making. I don't disagree with you.

Well, I said yet. So more people might come and it could be possible to do that :) I don't want to wait 30 minuts to find a 5v5 (or 4v4) with players of my level, that's way too long. :)
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 952Player
    edited September 2015
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Honestly I'm not even sure you believe in the constants BS you write on here, how am I to.

Ohh believe it... Integrity, Honesty & Humility are the key to EGO control. Being a GO GO GO must be seen as BEST BEST BEST ... wears on a persons insides and causes real damage, playing in heightened state everyday is like having a stressful job, it can wear on you.

Let go of the score, get down to Core. Play ARMY, not farmy.

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 1,938Player
    edited September 2015
    Bam4D wrote: »
    Honestly I'm not even sure you believe in the constants BS you write on here, how am I to.

Ohh i believe it... Integrity, Honesty & Humility are the key to EGO control. being a GO GO GO, must be seen as BEST BEST BEST ... wears on a persons insides and causes real damage, playing in heightened state everyday is like having a stressful job it can wear on you.

How do you think them all up? :lol:

I don't really want to be matchmade with people of my KDR/XPM or however it works.. I like to play with new players as much as playing against people who can 360 spin shoot my head off.. and not to beat on them but just to get to know different people, join their team and help them if possible, they get to watch me play (Note non egotistically.. not just me better players than me :) ) and I don't know about anyone else but I like that feeling.. variety and the fear of the unknown is a good thing and honestly I like it how it is :)

If teamstacking is soo annoying to people, then why don't people simply 'choose' to join the weaker team? instead of potentially stack on one side? This is more an appealing to the morals and sportmanship of individual players kinda problem if you ask me.

They can stick a matchmaking system in by all means, for the people who like to only play against potentially good players, but I'd prefer that it be made optional, running alongside the normal server browser method.

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 1,735Player
    edited September 2015

Ohh i believe it... Integrity, Honesty & Humility are the key to EGO control. being a GO GO GO, must be seen as BEST BEST BEST ... wears on a persons insides and causes real damage, playing in heightened state everyday is like having a stressful job it can wear on you.

How do you think them all up? :lol:

I don't really want to be matchmade with people of my KDR/XPM or however it works.. I like to play with new players as much as playing against people who can 360 spin shoot my head off.. and not to beat on them but just to get to know different people, join their team and help them if possible, they get to watch me play (Note non egotistically.. not just me better players than me :) ) and I don't know about anyone else but I like that feeling.. variety and the fear of the unknown is a good thing and honestly I like it how it is :)

If teamstacking is soo annoying to people, then why don't people simply 'choose' to join the weaker team? instead of potentially stack on one side? This is more an appealing to the morals and sportmanship of individual players kinda problem if you ask me.

They can stick a matchmaking system in by all means, for the people who like to only play against potentially good players, but I'd prefer that it be made optional, running alongside the normal server browser method.

That's why matchmaking usually exists next to private and/or official servers. If you want a challange go ahead and play matchmaking, if you want to have a great time go ahead and play on private or official servers. It's easy as that.
  • jeffisamanletjeffisamanlet Posts: 16Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    ON A GOOD CONNECTION, does the client get updated from the server often enough to see actual changes in position of an opponent when redrawing the screen quicker (high FPS) or is there still interpolation etc and the high fps doesn't really help with reactions? What's the relationship?
    Your FPS (what people generally talk about when talking about FPS) is Clientside and is about how fast your own PC can draw what you see on screen to you.

How they work together if they do.. I have no idea.

I believe what you are looking for is the server tickrate. The tickrate is the rate at which the server refreshes. Almost every server (including official servers) has a tickrate of 30, this means the server refreshes 30 times a second. Even if your FPS is 30, 90, 120, 144 or 100000 it wont affect the information you receive from the server (people complaining about increasing FPS, read last sentence again please). FPS lower than 30 means you will miss a 'snapshot'. Example:

titanfall-de-limportance-dun-bon-tickrate-ME3050237385_1.jpg

Higher tickrate means the server sends more 'snapshots' to the client, higher tickrate means better hit detection. The downside is that it increases the load on the server hardware and connection. That being said, a tickrate of 30 is WAY to low for a modern FPS. Battefield recently swapped from 30 to 60 because of all the complaining about smoothness and hit registration ( http://bf4central.com/2015/03/bf4-60hz-server-refresh/ ). CS:GO is played on a minimum of 64 tickrate and the competitive scene only plays on 128 tickrate servers.

I believe that a lot of the hitdetection problems will be solved or heavily decreased with increasing the tickrate, this aint 2007 anymore.
    I concur.

********Bam4D********

• .dc-colts^.dc-colts^ Posts: 1,669Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    LOL.

I have a question about FPS while online:

ON A GOOD CONNECTION, does the client get updated from the server often enough to see actual changes in position of an opponent when redrawing the screen quicker (high FPS) or is there still interpolation etc and the high fps doesn't really help with reactions? What's the relationship?

Not sure that's clear, but maybe someone knows what I'm trying to say....
    Server FPS and Client FPS are different as far as I'm aware.

Server FPS is something along the lines of how fast info is able to be sent from you to the server and vice versa..

Your FPS (what people generally talk about when talking about FPS) is Clientside and is about how fast your own PC can draw what you see on screen to you.

How they work together if they do.. I have no idea.

That's my nuub take on it anyway and could be completely wrong of course :lol: .. BCPull will know :)

Too funny. Tick rate...The current default tickrate is 30 I believe its terrible.

ss_.dc-colts^_4.png

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 1,798Player
    You mean private servers still run 30 tick rate?.. that's bad

• Whiplash27Whiplash27 Posts: 879Player
    Yep, ridiculous for a modern fps. Although i don't think my registration is as bad as others talk about.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -eKComm.iNv--eKComm.iNv- Posts: 320Player
    edited September 2015
    tl;dr

30 tickrate is bad.

The fact that the community is small does not mean that its impossible to implement match-making. I don't understand why people keep using this as a reason why its not worth implementing. More people may play if matchmaking a real competitive ranking exists. So what if it takes 5 minutes to pick up a match early on? Its features like this that makes game desirable to play. You can build a sense of progression around a competitive ranking without compromising game play (e.g. unlockables). People love progression.

So again i say. Why ignore a feature that can make your game better? If your only reasoning is that there "may not be enough players". Then you'r logic is flawed.

A large player base is not a necessary condition for more features.

More features is surely a necessary condition for a large player base. This is why games add maps, skins, expansion packs, ect....

To further simplify the logic. Rome wasn't built in a day. But Rome also didn't wait till they had high enough populous to build aqueducts. Be pre-emptive and build such that you can support the best case scenario and the worst case scenario. Build for the population you want, not the population you have.
  • JasonabelJasonabel Posts: 58Player
    you want to play on the usual severs, do so; you want to play with players who have the same rank as you, match making; ^^
    i have a question about matchmaking, it has to be players same ranked as you ?
    Jasonabel wrote: »
    you want to play on the usual severs, do so; you want to play with players who have the same rank as you, match making; ^^

This is the problem. Honor ranking and skill has NOTHING to do with each other. Obviously the time you spend playing the game influences your skill level, and high Honor rank is nothing more than spending a lot of time playing. However no matter how much time you spend in a game, there will always be people better than you with lower amounts of time played. I've seen plenty of high honors being horrible and low honors being really good.

Right now its a circlejerk with private servers, people who play since AA2 or high honors that decide when someone is a noob or to good. The problem with playing on servers with ranking higher or the same as you is that they just votekick you out or ban you from their server if you shoot them a bit to much. I literally had to record ALL my games and start a live stream in the hope to prevent bans. The worst part is that even with all this you will STILL get vote kicked or banned.

Problem with the small community is not actually using matchmaking, that works with 10 people. The problem with a small community, and especially this one, is that people think they are good. They have a different perspective on their actual 'skill'. When matchmaking comes in play they suddenly have to judge by a different standard and will be placed at a different 'skill' level than they think they deserve. Rage and more accusations ACI/punkbuster will start and the people who play this game for a long time might decide to stop. We all know this game is 90% people who play for a very long time and that they are the pillars of this community. This game is not build with the intention of becoming an Esport so why risk going against the wishes of your most loyal customers?
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 1,798Player
    are you for real? people will quit the game because they will be ranked not to their standards lol.. what a waste of a read

Pretty sure those high ranked players realize there are better players. There is another factor they play for. It's best known as "fun". Some people are playing to improve, some play to have fun. I'd say most people in this community play for fun.

Still see no reason why matchmaking couldn't be fun for those people as well. I could write some equally long text to explain why but I'm too lazy for that. One thing though, matchmaking doesn't mean matching people by their ranks. This is the most stupid thing I read in a long time especially since we're talking about a free game where you can create as many account as you wish.
    are you for real? people will quit the game because they will be ranked not to their standards lol.. what a waste of a read

They changed the layout of the scoreboard to hide the pings, reason they gave was that people complained about high ping/low ping related to the hit detection. Now that i reread my comment i might have been a bit harsh. Got quite frustrated after several kicks today, my bad :(. I don't mean they quit completely, i meant to say they get demoralized and reduce their playtime.
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    Pretty sure those high ranked players realize there are better players. There is another factor they play for. It's best known as "fun". Some people are playing to improve, some play to have fun. I'd say most people in this community play for fun.

What Necabo said is exactly what i tried to say. And yes, matchmaking with ranks is retarded
    Not sure what's the issue then. Players who don't enjoy matchmaking will just continue to play on normal servers while matchmaking will probably attract new players.
    same here. if match making is added, you're not obliged to use it..! people who don't want that will keep playing just as usual, and the ones who do wants that, well they have it! does not that makes everybody happy ??
    (thank you for the reply tho jeffi ; ) : )) )
    edited September 2015
    This is the most stupid thing I read in a long time especially since we're talking about a free game where you can create as many account as you wish.

We know ARMY wants numbers.. inflated with multiple accounts.. ride those fake stats.. ;)

Wish they would implement a 1 account per accreditation rule, would alleviate so many problems, fhakers & bullies to name a few, one & done.. people would be more careful with their online AA persona playing fair and treating fair.

I know, I know, make another steam , download , create another account... but after 3 times or so that fhaker / bully would get bored of doing it and maybe his Fourth account he steps up to the plate and tries, truly falling in love with the game.

Bonus AA has unique account sign up numbers and known in the FPS arena as the cleanest gaming experience, bar none, woot! :o

********Bam4D********

This is the most stupid thing I read in a long time especially since we're talking about a free game where you can create as many account as you wish.

We know ARMY wants numbers.. inflated with multiple accounts.. ride those fake stats.. ;)

Wish they would implement a 1 account per accreditation rule, would alleviate so many problems, fhakers & bullies to name a few, one & done.. people would be more careful with their online AA persona playing fair and treating fair.

I know, I know, make another steam , download , create another account... but after 3 times or so that fhaker / bully would get bored of doing it and maybe his Fourth account he steps up to the plate and tries, truly falling in love with the game.

Bonus AA has unique account sign up numbers and known in the FPS arena as the cleanest gaming experience, bar none, woot! :o

Oh well, I had a second account to play in peace whenever I didn't feel like talking to others without being mean to my friends. Besides that I agree, should be one account for each individual.