Comp Mode (we need your input again)

TheTotsTheTots Posts: 1,735Developer
We started with Hardcore mode, then we recently tried to revise it into a "Classic Mode".

We've decided to go with a full "Comp Mode" instead. We used rules from the ESL ruleset, and server settings.

We are also adding in a few admin commands like the ability to throw out a round, pause match, and turn off auto-balance / set teams. (This list subject to change / shrink / expand)

Now is the time to give us your final input on this mode before it gets locked in for release.

Here are the settings we have now:

16 Rounds

180 seconds round timer

Full friendly fire

No ROE

No Revive

No Spot

In regards to weapons/roles:

Only 2 fogs allowed (smokes have been fully removed)

Riflemen : 5

AR: 1

DM: 1

Sniper: 1

***** DM / SNIPER only able to be selected on the maps that support them

Comments

• .dcG-Vortex^.dcG-Vortex^ Posts: 188Player
    Only 2 fogs per person or is it limited per team?
    Otherwise looks good to me, ESL rules are solid.
    -
    Also please call it competitive/competition mode in the full release, it will make players realize we have competitive leagues and increase the population (which is rapidly declining).
    TheTots wrote:
    I think this thread has run it's course......
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,592Player
    Only 2 fogs per person or is it limited per team?
    Otherwise looks good to me, ESL rules are solid.
    -
    Also please call it competitive/competition mode in the full release, it will make players realize we have competitive leagues and increase the population (which is rapidly declining).

Per person, at least that's how we suggested it (stolen from ESL rules obviously).
  • i9.dooglei9.doogle Posts: 214Player
    What's the verdict on player count? I kind of like it.
    Is it worth disabling global VOIP while alive or will that be a server option?
    ss_-!DC!-Doogle_4.png
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 1,735Developer
    Sorry, mean to say it's currently 5v5. Looking at supporting 8v8 as well.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Player count can also refer to the teammate (and enemy) status indicator in the HUD, currently enabled I believe for ESL and disabled in default open beta settings. Not sure what that element's fate will be with full release.

Everything looks good to me. I would like seeing the dead player VOIP restriction lifted and disabling global VOIP during live rounds. Encourage players to shift to purely in-game comms.
    The player counter has been completely removed in the new hud. It's just gone.

Rgr on disabled dead voip and disabled global voip.
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    edited June 2015
    - thank god the "player count display" is completely gone. it isn't needed for comp. counting isn't hard. if it is, well... first person on your team to die that has nothing else to do, he can be given the job of counting how many enemies are left...
    -
    - we still need fog limits per side, not per player. 2 per player is too much.
    -
    - we still need to classify "ANY zoom optic to be considered a DMR/sniper". combined, each team should only get 1 per 6 players. so choose between a DMR, or Elcan, or m24, not all 3. team gets just 1 per 6 with the remaining 5/6 are non-zoom optics... or 2 per 12.
    -
    - we need to get rid of the red dot in the mini map that shows enemy shooters...
    -
    - we need to get rid of friendly 3d icons through walls and instead make a larger mini map (SAI) to replace that necessity/crutch.
    -
    - we apparently need to get modded versions of the vanilla maps, (minus the supported position and bushes), unless it is going to get properly fixed.
    -
    - assuming FF causes negative exp/score (why would it still not?)... instead of "ROE off", you need to make it so ROE is on (loss of score) but rather, simply do not suicide player for violating ROE, and increase or turn off threshold for how much ROE equals a server kick.
    -
    - if you're going to turn revives completely off, then we need some sort of medic role, else why are we playing this game? maybe let (any) teammate heal you back up to 25 health if you manage to find yourself in a situation where you survived and are under 25 health (one-time use only per patient)
    -
    - why is it so hard to make a player fall off when attempting to stand on a railing??

We are looking to build a mode that follows the way the comp players play. You are describing a lot of other changes that are out of the scope of this discussion.

Tweaks, not mechanic changes / map remakes are what we are talking about currently.

We're building off of ESL and what the vast majority of comp players have told us is the standard.
    TheTots wrote: »
    The player counter has been completely removed in the new hud. It's just gone.

Rgr on disabled dead voip and disabled global voip.

I hope you mean enable dead voip.
    In "comp mode" if I die I should still be able to talk to my team mates. In real matches we're all on TS/Vent/Mumble anyways so disabling that does about nothing. In public "comp mode" servers I can't guarantee the randoms will be on my tTS/Vent/Mumble so it would be nice to be able to call out like normal comps.

In real matches though, it should be an option you can disable so we can laugh at the guy stuck in a 1v4 clutch without him hearing us.
    TheTots wrote:
  • =IK=montana!=IK=montana! Posts: 34Player
    Probably not going to enhance my reputation here but....Wouldn't it be more realistic, fair, challenging, etc. if teams were restricted to team chat in game and when they "die" , they are not able to speak, because after all, they are "dead". This has always baffled me. It seems that nearly every comp player expects TS and the like...Aside from killing some of the fun, not being able to banter and whatnot, what is the argument against going in game VOIP only? Am curious...
    Ignorance allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. - James Baldwin
    montana! wrote: »
    Probably not going to enhance my reputation here but....Wouldn't it be more realistic, fair, challenging, etc. if teams were restricted to team chat in game and when they "die" , they are not able to speak, because after all, they are "dead". This has always baffled me. It seems that nearly every comp player expects TS and the like...Aside from killing some of the fun, not being able to banter and whatnot, what is the argument against going in game VOIP only? Am curious...

I would say you are correct, this is the realistic approach; however that's not what were going for here. 99.99% of online competitions have some sort of chat between the dead players and their alive teammates. It's only reasonable that if we want to replicate a competition mode we allow that.
    TheTots wrote:
  • iNv|DZADragoNiNv|DZADragoN Posts: 424Player
    I like the transparency as of lately Tots. This comp mode is something many of us did not expect from the devs, but so glad it's been brought forth. My heart feels warm.

Fragmovie 6 | PODCASTS | www.team-invaders.com
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 4 Champions
    FN Season 2 MAIN Champions
  • =IK=montana!=IK=montana! Posts: 34Player
    Dragon is getting sentimental on us...
    Ignorance allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. - James Baldwin
  • SSKtidididiSSKtidididi Posts: 171Player
  • [1stCav]QuePasa^[1stCav]QuePasa^ Posts: 38Player
    That's sweet :P and feels like just one step ahead from a tournament mode.. ;)
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,615Player
    I would like to see voip work as follows... no global voip during gameplay! Def no voip communication between dead and alive.. jump on TS for that...
    Global can work for players in spectate to spectate or even spectator to dead player, not spectator to alive player... global works between dead to dead.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,615Player
    edited June 2015
    I'm confused by Tots saying it's 5v5 possible 8v8 ? What? We getting away from 6v6 for pubs? Not sure how the small maps will play with 8v8..we can try.. and the 5v5 should be left for tournament or matchmaking mode if ever.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    I thought that was the comp standard (the 5v5) 8v8 is just an often requested mode that we were looking at.

If you guys feel 6v6 is better for our comp mode, so be it. Just let me know either way.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,592Player
    While 5v5 is surely the way to go regarding comp, I don't think it'll work on pub. What I experienced with playing pub on BDX is that at a certain point (usually after a map ends) a couple of people will leave the server resulting in a rather boring match due to too less players. For FLO maps it doesn't really matter if someone leaves because 10v10 is the same fun as 12v12 if noone is already waiting in spectate to fill the empty spots anyway.
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 326Beta Tester
    Comp mode -- 5 vs 5
    Normal mode -- 12 vs 12 and 8 vs 8
    Oh well.