Server Flood Attacks

Mainly posting in the hopes Dev's will read this and provide some response.

I am hosting a server in Australia which is subject to continual and deliberate flood attacks, in effect a DDOS of sorts, however strictly speaking, the traffic is legitimate connections to the server, so the host provider does not consider the attacks as a DDOS.

These attacks have been continuing on Australian based servers for as far as I am aware, getting close to 12 months.

Changing different providers makes no difference. Seemingly makes no difference what kind of server you choose to use either.

I have endured more than 50 attacks in the last 10 days, and they are purposely launched at the server usually when it begins filling on FLO maps, ie, 15 players or more.

My server host has advised there is nothing they can do from their end to stop these attacks, as the traffic is legitimate, and have told me that this is a programming deficiency by the Devs for AAPG in that it has no basic flood protection included, which effectively allows these attacks to be exploited quite easily.

So does anyone know if the Dev's are aware of this exploit, and if they do, is there any consideration / planning in place to resolve this anytime soon? These attacks literally have destroyed all Australian based AAPG servers now and ability for Aussie players to have a stable playing environment.

Comments

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,269Player
    Dev's are aware about DDoS attack in Australia
    http://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/comment/46312/#Comment_46312
    Sj5fM8t.jpg?1
    Turn in time , there is no disgrace in turning.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 1,735Developer
    I'll speak w/ our programmers again and see if there's anything at all we can do.
    These kinds of attacks are pretty hard to fight unfortunately.
  • =R*C=Von_Drehle=R*C=Von_Drehle Posts: 6Player
    edited February 15
    -Ner0- wrote: »
    Dev's are aware about DDoS attack in Australia
    http://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/comment/46312/#Comment_46312

I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that nothing really has eventuated from this after 12 months + of attacks.
    I don't think the community quite grasps the severity of this matter, because US servers are currently uneffected.

These attacks completely cripple this game, and I have a feeling if the AAPG servers the rest of the community played on were also under constant attack, you may see why a resolution needs to be looked at as a matter of priority by the Devs.

All it will take is some disgruntled player who has nothing better to do with their time with the know how and you also will not be playing AAPG with stability any longer. It's not a matter of if it will happen, it's a matter of when.
    TheTots wrote: »
    I'll speak w/ our programmers again and see if there's anything at all we can do.

Appreciate that mate, please let me know the response you get.
  • =R*C=Teejay=R*C=Teejay Posts: 15Player
    This has been happening for a long time now, our core player base is now starting to dwindle. The worrying thing for the US players though is that most of the Aussie/NZ players are starting to just play on the US servers. It is only a matter of time before who ever is performing these attacks follows us to the US private and official servers. I'm actually surprised servers like 1%R or Great outdoors haven't been hit already.

I'm not talking about a small annoyance as well. EVERY lunchtime EVERY server in the Pacific region is hit. Hit hard enough that it completely crashes. This can be ongoing for an hour as well. Later on it happens again and in the peak night time play period every server is hit again. Seriously, think about not being able to play this game on any server without having a ping of 200 or more.

Like I said, I think it is only a matter of time before these attacks move to include the US. Everyone is happy to shrug their shoulders at the moment and not care, it may be different once it happens to everyone.
    Seriously, think about not being able to play this game on any server without having a ping of 200 or more.

Correct, apart from the 200 ping part. Once the attacks commence, the server *WILL* crash. That is guaranteed. So you won't be playing at all. This is the future of the game unless Devs find a solution, as no server is safe, regardless of where it is situated in the world.

• -ISG-Hobojedi-ISG-Hobojedi Posts: 1Player
    Its not just a few of the aussie servers either. its which ever one we move to after the 1st one gets hit, next one gets targeted within 5 mins of it starting to fill up again. Its getting ridiculous
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,269Player
    Blame it on Putin ;)
    Sj5fM8t.jpg?1
    Turn in time , there is no disgrace in turning.
    Seriously, think about not being able to play this game on any server without having a ping of 200 or more.

Correct, apart from the 200 ping part. Once the attacks commence, the server *WILL* crash. That is guaranteed. So you won't be playing at all. This is the future of the game unless Devs find a solution, as no server is safe, regardless of where it is situated in the world.

oh yeah, I mean that the only alternative is to move to a server located in another acountry.
  • =R*C=WildFire=R*C=WildFire Posts: 1Player
    Yeap getting beyond ridiculous, I have been playing this game for a long time and this is by far the most active I have seen this game in the Aus community since the death of AA2 not as active as back then but was starting to pick back up again.

But because of these dam attacks people just play other games or put up with a 200+ ping and we are losing long time AA gamers like myself and the new players don't give it a chance surely there is something you can to help work in with the server providers.
  • preC.MuFFy-preC.MuFFy- Posts: 4Player
    I host our server from my home with a few other service on the same machine.
    Cripple the box while the attacks going. Have to remove the network to make the box responsive and shut down AA server.

Ive attached a screenshot from the logs that shows the flood.
    This shouldnt be an issue to fix. I dont see and legitimate connection making the same king of request so consistantly so programing wise you sould be able to detect the floodi g and block it.
    which is what my server host is telling me as well Muffy, it's a programming deficiency on the AAPG server
    which is what my server host is telling me as well Muffy, it's a programming deficiency on the AAPG server

Yes definitely programming issue.
  • m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 496Moderator
    next you'll be saying that it's the web designers fault when someone brings down a website by hitting port 80 with a flood. By definition, the server has to respond.
    righto Hermann, if you honestly believe there is no problem here, then you have your head firmly buried in the sand. Otherwise, thanks for the helpful response.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,592Player
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    This thread is amazing.

Wow, thanks for your concern. I guess we should just shut up? Server hosts say it's a coding problem, devs say nothing. Meanwhile we can't play.

How about every time you play you turn off your computer 30mins in and then come back with a comment.
  • =R*C=RasGhuL=R*C=RasGhuL Posts: 2Beta Tester
    All AA players have GUID numbers, is it possible for PB or the server to compare player logins against the known GUID list at handshake? At least then we may be able to close the door on legitimate traffic but non =player hits to the server.
  • -NFA-Mr-Vixen-NFA-Mr-Vixen Posts: 1Player
    NFA are experiencing the same DDos attacks.

these ddos attacks is killing the aus gaming community.

it needs to be sorted hopefully.

the only servers that hardly get hit is tog.but in saying that they do get hit every now and again but nowhere near as often as all the other severs.

NFA have a usa server and it has not been hit once since its been up for the last 9 mths.

so obviously its somebody within the au community cause thats all they target.

come on devs sort this out it has gone on long enough now.
  • pirulipipipirulipipi Posts: 3Player
    edited February 24
    TheTots wrote: »

The problem is in the datacenters, it's not in the game, the type of attack depends on the layer being used.
    For fight and also stop this attacks it is necessary datacenters with mitigation routers (CISCO routers) and VAC Systems, some companies have this for free, for example OVH.com or online.net

There are also services that provide this type of protection, for example Incapsula or First Colo GmbH.