Make our next weapon skins!

TheTotsTheTots Posts: 1,735Developer
edited January 29 in News & Announcements
Many of you have been asking for the ability to create custom skins, and now you can!
We have a guide HERE and the files HERE or HERE that you need to do this. You'll also need photoshop / Paint.NET / GIMP or a similar graphic editing software.

A special forums will open up soon for you to submit your skin images and we will take the best ones and put them in game!

There is not a designated number of winners, we will just take all of the best.
We are also not setting a hard deadline, as great skins come in we will check back and add them to the game.

EDIT: Skins must be safe for work and original content*.

Backup links for the files HERE and HERE

*To elaborate on original content. That means you created every pixel of the image yourself. No images you found online, no likeness to a copyrighted image or pattern, 100% original content made by you from the ground up.

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 2,877Player
    BRB.. skinning one up :awesome:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,615Player
    Might take part.. not the news we were hoping for.. impact on making game better=none

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy-[U|S|A]-DannyBoy Posts: 302Beta Tester
    Awesome!!!!
    One day I will graduate noob school!!!
    -[U|S|A]-DannyBoy!!

• [Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 281Developer
    It is worth noting that any selected skins will be immediately available for all players once incorporated in to the game. They will not be placed behind weapon challenge unlocks or anything like that.
    edited January 27
    Obviously we'd have to adhere to anyone's intellectual property rights, IE we couldn't just slap something like Activision on them or a company logo.. oh and of course refrain from anything derogatory.. but not that I'm in a clan, just for clarification sakes, do the skins have to be void of any custom branding? such as clan tags, emblems, names/numbers and suchlike?

• [Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 281Developer
    I'd say keep clan tags and the like out of the main theme of the weapon skin. Having the artist's "signature" somewhere small on the weapon is totally fine and if that happens to involve a clan tag or emblem then so be it.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 343Player
    Are unicorns and rainbows allowed?
    - Make America's Army great again! -
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 1,735Developer
    edited January 27
    Flatlander wrote: »
    Are unicorns and rainbows allowed?

Not only allowed but expected.

dy1kr9841n74.jpg
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 569Player
    If you don't have photoshop, download blender ( free opensource 3d program) and texture it there. Basics are easy to learn.
    I'd just like to say this, whoever made the skins in the game we have right now, KUDOS. :+1:

This is one of them things that looks easy to do.. then you actually try and the brain has a couple farts :lol:

• Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 569Player
    Yea exactly, now that I try to do it, I understand how hard it must have been.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 343Player
    edited January 27
    Would love to do the cutest deadly weapon in history but if it is hard as making a map - not worth the lifetime wasted :(

Nevermind,i will sketch it up and handle it over to wolverine,i saw hes doing things for 20 bucks :D
    - Make America's Army great again! -
  • SeVn.MaxSeVn.Max Posts: 46Player
    Nice idea!! Good Work !!!!
  • LDGaming`~AMDLDGaming`~AMD Posts: 256Player
    Something to do now, you make me put the weapon back together first.. thanks!
  • Hc|Captain(HUN)Hc|Captain(HUN) Posts: 61Player
    Nice idea yes but not what I was hoping for. Seems to like they dont wannt to spend much time with it all and says - if you wannt something new then go and make it yourself -. Yes sure there are people who might have fun with it but I think is that 9 out of 10 will not do anything because they going to play instead of trying to make some art and then hope for adding it in the game.

If you guys give a Chance to us to create something for the game why not stuff what effects and add more fun to the gamplay.
    Like, Make your own weapon contest or create vehicles or coop gameplay with bots and so. :/

Whatever I hope there will be some pink and neon green skins :awesome: or someone create thar digital display on the weapon what counts the kills you make like cs go :D

Hc|Captain(HUN) -
    Oh.. I'm SO making the Golden Gun :mrgreen:

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 1,735Developer
    edited January 27
    If you guys give a Chance to us to create something for the game why not stuff what effects and add more fun to the gamplay.
    Like, Make your own weapon contest or create vehicles or coop gameplay with bots and so. :/

"make a gun" sounds simple, but think about it. You need to be able to create a model in high enough quality, and that is performance friendly. You need to create it's normal maps and skin. You need to set up animations for the weapon and soldier with the weapon. You need to record audio and code it into the weapon. You need to balance all of the things the weapon can do against the other weapons in the game so that it is on an even playing field with the rest.

We're talking about a list of things that is usually several people with different degrees in very different fields all coming together to create that one thing (over the course of hundreds or more hours)

If you think you can do that, awesome! Send us your model and code and I'll see if we can get that put in!

Vehicles: Same as above, but now add a ton more engine code and all new maps and modes to support it.

Bots, if you can do AI at that level, don't just make it as a community contest, go get a very lucrative job! Heck, send us your resume!

We go with thing like "make a weapon skin" and "design a map" because they are relatively simple one man projects. If you really think you can do more and want to try, grab the UE3 SDK and give it a shot. If you get somewhere I know we have programmers who would love to talk!
    Three hours later.. I give you..

3324577.jpg

I should really stick to my day job :lol:

• LDGaming`~AMDLDGaming`~AMD Posts: 256Player
    Three hours later.. I give you..

3324577.jpg

I should really stick to my day job :lol:

Add some dollar signs in diamonds you got yourself the "M4 Uni-Sol Blinger" :lol:
    I'll have a proper go.. once I get the hang of it, probably start small on the pistol :lol: that was just a first (very bad) attempt haha, figuring out which part of the UV map on the texture is to a certain part of the weapon is what I'm finding a real challenge :lol:

To think.. people do this for a living.. :surprised: