Railing + Mantle = No

OK, so I have got to the point of sorting out cover links and locations where you can't do what I believe should be possible. I have followed DeltaThund3rs tutorial on cover links, which has helped, but...

In one case I have a straight railing half way up a staircase, but no matter what I do, I can not get it to allow mantle (climb) over it.
By default, you can't climb over. If I add a cover link and set it to allow mantle, as soon as I rebuild paths, it removes the mantle from the actor.

PHqIsoU.jpg

Am I missing a setting in either the railing mesh or the cover link that will allow people to climb over this railing?

Is the railing too tall to climb?

Comments

• =R*C=-snom-=R*C=-snom- Posts: 88Player
    i know on my map the railing has to be approached at an angle to mantle.
  • DELTATHUND3RDELTATHUND3R Posts: 126Moderator
    Try duplicating the cover node,place one directly in the corner and the other flush with stairs..
  • [NoL]W_a_t_c_h[NoL]W_a_t_c_h Posts: 133Player
    Unfortunately that did not change anything, thanks for the suggestion though.

OK, this appears to be either some limitation of UE3, or the mesh the devs built, because as snom says, you can mantle if you approach at a 30-45 degree angle, but if you run straight on, it will not jump up.

Can the devs confirm whether this is a limitation they can't fix or something they could look at with regards the mesh properties?
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Can't you jump it even if you alter the height of the mesh to make it smaller?
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

No, even if you halve the height of the mesh, it still will only allow you to vault if you do it at an angle.
    Weird.. What's the name of the mesh? or package it's in?

That one is RailingHorizontal_BD_SMesh in the Industrial Stairs package.
    Thanks, I know if something is not to a certain height it makes the vault either impossible or renders your pawn in a frozen state for like a second, like it wants to do it but can't. I had this issue with a table I used in a UMM but once I lowered it down a fraction it was OK.

I just went and checked the railing and the default size from a ground level is indeed not allowing a frontal vault.. but I'm stumped because I found that if the railing is lowered a little it would allow it.. also scaling the height down a little worked. Thought it may have been a problem with it's collision or something but its not that.. so I'm not sure why it's not working for you :(

• DELTATHUND3RDELTATHUND3R Posts: 126Moderator
    You could place a small blocking vol at base of rail to get the correct height
    Thanks for the suggestions. It isn't a vital piece of the map, so I will leave it for now.